Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
More Beautiful Every Day Empty33%More Beautiful Every Day Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
More Beautiful Every Day Empty67%More Beautiful Every Day Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
More Beautiful Every Day Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
More Beautiful Every Day Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
More Beautiful Every Day Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
More Beautiful Every Day Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
More Beautiful Every Day Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
More Beautiful Every Day EmptyMore Beautiful Every Day Voting_bar2More Beautiful Every Day Empty 
TerishD (1441)
More Beautiful Every Day EmptyMore Beautiful Every Day Voting_bar2More Beautiful Every Day Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

More Beautiful Every Day

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Snacker

More Beautiful Every Day ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : More Beautiful Every Day Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

More Beautiful Every Day Empty
PostSubject: More Beautiful Every Day   More Beautiful Every Day Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2010, 6:04 pm

They say that time is the great thief
Robber of beauty and of looks
I have heard it spoken times before
Have read of it in books

But as the years go by with you
I realize more and more
You just get that much better
So much better than before

For what may have caught my eye
Was surely your pretty face
But over the years I have come to know
Your true beauty and inner grace

For your true beauty is not seen
Not what you choose to show
It is your beauty that lies inside
The beauty I’ve come to know

And as the years pass on by
You age just like fine wine
And every year that passes by
Makes me glad you’re mine

Far from your beauty ever fading
I feel that I must say
You just keep on getting better
And more beautiful every day
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
TerishD

More Beautiful Every Day ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : More Beautiful Every Day Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   More Beautiful Every Day Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2010, 11:10 pm

Picking this one, because it was the best of the group -- in my opinion. They were all rhyming, a plus. Most missed the meter in places. It hurt in that the poems are simple in thought, so really are those that you want to say out loud (hopefully with a member of the opposite sex around). When your tongue trips in the recitation, it slightly spoils the mood. If you are going for direct, clear message poetry, make certain that it flows.

I assume from the poems that you life is going well. I certainly hope so. May it continue to go well for you.

Also, glad to see you posting. Poor Oskar has been steadily putting out stuff, but he should not be alone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Snacker

Snacker

Male

PostSubject: Re: More Beautiful Every Day   More Beautiful Every Day Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2010, 11:26 pm

Thank you very much, Terish. The posting has come short since my computer broke down and I'm without one for a while now. It'll be alright eventually, though.

Yes I always make sure that my wife, Kellycakes, reads the poems I write for her, so no worries about that.Wink Over the years and the time of writing poetry I've got to experience different kind of genres, but it turned out that poems about my feelings, or in this case, about love, marriage and my wife are the ones that flow the best.

I've been reading your replies you've given our members and since you mentioned it again on one of my pieces, I just have to ask what exactly that "meter" is you're talking about?!
Back to top Go down
TerishD

More Beautiful Every Day ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : More Beautiful Every Day Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   More Beautiful Every Day Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2010, 10:08 am

Meter is the number of syllables per line. It is the ta-da ta-da cadence of how the words are said.

I have to go to school today (8)
Because I need to get my pay (8)

That is a good rhyming couplet.

I have to go to school today(8)
Because I need to learn what the teacher will say(12)

Is not a good couplet. The rhyme is good, but the rhythm actually expects the rhyming syllable earlier in the sentence. Thus, the rhyme is not good, because the word the cadence expects to rhyme does not. Thus, while (to)day and say DOES rhyme, that is not the word your voice or the listener's ear expects to rhyme. When working with rhyme, you thus have to consider the meter as well to assure that the rhyme works.

Now, that does not mean that the speaker cannot make the couplet work. Someone reading the poem for the first time however will not know to adjust their speech. Meter is thus important for those seeking a new audience. Those with an established audience can ignore it, although they then get held up as an example of how certain poets ruin the quality of poetry by flaunting the rules.

Most of those that hate rules simply go with non-rhyming or free verse. Truthfully, meter is still important there. The cadence of the stanzas still must pull the meaning and emotion, so word choice and how they work with other words becomes important. Basically, in free-verse EVERY word becomes important. Good free-verse thus can be a challenge as well.

That is enough lecture. Have fun with it. Poetry is more personal. Whatever its structural faults, it is strange how some poems actually manage to touch people. Thus, one can come down hard on a poem for being in error, then simply end with, "I liked it." People are weird, and poetry brings that our inner nature rather well at times. That is what makes poetry worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Snacker

Snacker

Male

PostSubject: Re: More Beautiful Every Day   More Beautiful Every Day Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2010, 3:05 pm

Well thank you very much for explaining so detailed. I'll definitely start paying attention to the meter when I'm writing a poem next, since I enjoy the rhyming ones better anyway. That's gonna be a new challenge while writing, and I'm always open for new things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More Beautiful Every Day   More Beautiful Every Day Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More Beautiful Every Day
Page 1 of 1