Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Hello from Tasmania Australia Empty33%Hello from Tasmania Australia Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Hello from Tasmania Australia Empty67%Hello from Tasmania Australia Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Hello from Tasmania Australia Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Hello from Tasmania Australia Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Hello from Tasmania Australia Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Hello from Tasmania Australia Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Hello from Tasmania Australia Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Hello from Tasmania Australia EmptyHello from Tasmania Australia Voting_bar2Hello from Tasmania Australia Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Hello from Tasmania Australia EmptyHello from Tasmania Australia Voting_bar2Hello from Tasmania Australia Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Hello from Tasmania Australia

Go down 
+2
TerishD
RonPrice
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RonPrice

Hello from Tasmania Australia NewScribbler-1
RonPrice

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Hello from Tasmania Australia Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Tasmania Australia   Hello from Tasmania Australia Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2008, 10:27 pm

1. EMPLOYMENT & SOCIAL ROLES: 1944-2008

1999-2008-Writer/Poet/Retired Teacher: George Town Tasmania
2002-2005-Program Presenter, City Park Radio, Launceston
1999-2004-Tutor and/or President: George Town School for Seniors Inc
1988-1999 -Lecturer in General Studies and Human Services West Australian Department of Training
1986-1987 -Acting Lecturer in Management Studies and Co-ordinator of Further Education Unit at Hedland College in South Hedland, WA.
1982-1985 -Adult Educator, Open College of Tafe, Katherine, NT
1981 -Maintenance Scheduler, Renison Bell, Zeehan, Tasmania
1980-Unemployed: Bi-Polar Disability
1979 -Editor, External Studies Unit, Tasmanian CAE; Youth Worker, Resource Centre Association, Launceston;
Lecturer in Organizational Behaviour, Tasmanian CAE; Radio Journalist ABC, Launceston
1976-1978 -Lecturer in Social Sciences & Humanities, Ballarat CAE, Ballarat
1975 - Lecturer in Behavioural Studies, Whitehorse Technical College, Box Hill, Victoria
1974 -Senior Tutor in Education Studies, Tasmanian CAE, Launceston
1972-1973 -High School Teacher, South Australian Education Department
1971 Primary School Teacher, Whyalla SA, Australia
1969-1971 Primary School Teacher, Prince Edward County Board of Education, Picton, Ontario, Canada
1969 Systems Analyst, Bad Boy Co. Ltd., Toronto Ontario
1967-68 -Community Teacher, Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, Frobisher Bay(Iqaluit), NWT, Canada
1959-67 -Summer jobs from grade 9 to end of university
1949-1967 - Attended 2 primary schools, 2 high schools and 2 universities in Canada: McMaster Uni:1963-1966, Windsor T’s College: 1966/7.
1944-1963 -Childhood(1944-57) and adolescence(1957-63) in and around Hamilton Ontario.

2. SOME SOCIO-BIO-DATA(as of: 2008) 8)

I have been married for 41 years. My wife is a Tasmanian, aged 60. We’ve had 3 children: ages in 2008-42, 38 and 31. I am 64, a Canadian who moved to Australia in 1971 and have written 3 books--all available on the internet. I retired from full-time teaching in 1999, from part-time teaching in 2003 and from volunteer/casual teaching/work in 2005 after 35 years in classrooms. In addition, I have been a member of the Baha’i Faith for 49 years. Bio-data: 6ft, 225 lbs, eyes/hair-brown, Caucasian. See my website for more details at: http://www.users.on.net/~ronprice/ or go the google search engine and type: RonPrice(no space), Pioneering RonPrice, RonPrice Poetry, RonPrice Bahá’í, RonPrice History,(philosophy, religion, media studies, politics, inter alia)--for additional writings.
Back to top Go down
http://www.users.on.net/~ronprice/
TerishD

Hello from Tasmania Australia ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Hello from Tasmania Australia Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   Hello from Tasmania Australia Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2008, 10:33 pm

Hey, I am NOT the oldest guy here. Neat. Welcome!!!

I could give my resume as well, but being a parent and a teacher I have enough evidence of being old. I am still enjoying life, so you don't hear me complain.

Glad you came, and I hope you stay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
RonPrice

RonPrice

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Thanks for the Welcoming Note   Hello from Tasmania Australia Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2008, 11:04 pm

Next year I go on the old age pension here in Australia and I hope to drop in here occasionally in these years of my late adulthood(60-80) and old age(80++), if I last that long. Thanks for the welcome from such a young chap. At 48 I was just beginning my life of writing poetry....I'll post a prose-poem here that I wrote to help me explain to myself how all this poetic stuff entered my days relatively late in the lifespan.-Ron
--------------------
THEY CAME

They came as separate poems and when I had what seemed like a sizeable number, I think it was usually somewhere between about fifty and a hundred, I made them into a little booklet. The plastic binding cost me five dollars at a local Xerox shop; the paper and the ink cartridge had another cost, let's say seven or eight dollars all up. From 1992 to 2004 I produced 53 booklets of some 6000 poems. It works out to a little more than a poem a day. I started writing poems back in 1962 at the age of eighteen with Cathy Saxe who lived in George Town Ontario. Then, in 1980, I started saving the poems I wrote. I was thirty-six at the time.

At 48 I became even more serious about poetry. It was then 1992. As far as direction in my poetry was concerned, well, I really didn’t know where it was going. I had, from time to time, several senses or intimations of direction and, after one period of strong intimation in the mid-1990s, I organized my poetry into four time periods, each with a different heading or title drawing on the historical construction of the Baha'i Faith's Shrine of the Bab and its embellishments in the gardens and terraces on Mt. Carmel in Israel as my metaphor, my physical analogue. I had, by then, been associated with the Baha'i Faith for forty years.

I don’t write books of poetry as books. I don’t write them like, say, my autobiography, or my critical work on the study of Roger White's poetry. I don't lay them out like my website, my letters, my essays or my attempts at novels. My poetry has some inner evolution which, even after 42 years, is essentially mysterious.-Ron Price, Memoirs: Pioneering Over Four Epochs, May 12, 2004.

Back in the '80s
I took little interest
in rhyming bed & head:
there were enough it
seemed or so I thought
banalities in life
without my adding to them.

There was so much I did
not need to know:
the Hang Seng, the FTSE
the price of gold,
the price of a new hoe.

My eye, as Shakespeare said,
was in a fine frenzy rolling
from earth to heaven and
heaven to earth.........with
my imagination bodying forth,
turning things I did know into
a shape, giving them a name,
a habitation--something more
than airy nothing of which
there was plenty in my world.

Ron Price
May 12 2004
(updated for Scribbles
on: 25/7/'08)
--------------
That's all folks! 8)
Back to top Go down
http://www.users.on.net/~ronprice/
Saphira

Hello from Tasmania Australia ScribbleSuperr
Saphira

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Tasmania Australia   Hello from Tasmania Australia Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2008, 11:15 pm

Hey nice to have you here Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Elodie-Caroline

Elodie-Caroline

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Tasmania Australia   Hello from Tasmania Australia Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2008, 4:53 am

Welcome aboard Ron!

Elodie
Back to top Go down
http://elodie.the.writer.tripod.com/
HYdraMStar

Hello from Tasmania Australia Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Hello from Tasmania Australia Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Tasmania Australia   Hello from Tasmania Australia Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2008, 8:49 am

Hi Ron,

It's interesting to read about what you were up to in the years before I was born. Makes me feel a bit better about soon turning thirty. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Kellycakes

Hello from Tasmania Australia ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Hello from Tasmania Australia Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Tasmania Australia   Hello from Tasmania Australia Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2008, 10:59 am

Welcome to Scribbles Mr. Price, so glad to have ya! Smile Looks like you've led a very busy life.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Saphira

Hello from Tasmania Australia ScribbleSuperr
Saphira

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Tasmania Australia   Hello from Tasmania Australia Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2008, 6:06 pm

Yeah kelly i want to say the same. You are a very interesting man
who have much see in his live Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Tasmania Australia   Hello from Tasmania Australia Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Tasmania Australia
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Scribe (The Latest News Forum) :: Scribbles Appendages-
Jump to: