Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Successful Procedures Empty33%Successful Procedures Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Successful Procedures Empty67%Successful Procedures Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Successful Procedures Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Successful Procedures Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Successful Procedures Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Successful Procedures Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Successful Procedures Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Successful Procedures EmptySuccessful Procedures Voting_bar2Successful Procedures Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Successful Procedures EmptySuccessful Procedures Voting_bar2Successful Procedures Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Successful Procedures

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

Successful Procedures ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Successful Procedures Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Successful Procedures Empty
PostSubject: Successful Procedures   Successful Procedures Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2010, 8:26 pm

I wanted to know what is everyone's writing procedure. I mean of course there is the writing, and edit and write and edit. Then afterward we post the piece online somewhere or share it with a few friends or just shove it in a notebook or save to disk and leave it. Then there are the bigger projects, novels, collections, etc. After they are written and edited what is the next step you take as a writer to push yourself further up the ladders of success?

I finished my Nano novel and did the first round of editing and I am now very excited about maybe querying agents for representation. The query letter is a pain the my ass as it isn't perfect and may never be. So this is where I am right now and was wondering where everyone is and where exactly are they going.

Writing
Editing
Querying
Publishing

? Is this the standard of success?
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
TerishD

Successful Procedures ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Successful Procedures Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   Successful Procedures Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2010, 11:16 pm

Kellycakes wrote:
Writing
Editing
Querying
Publishing

? Is this the standard of success?
The answer is no. The standard of success is SELLING. If you sell a lot, you are a success. Most people thus skip steps 2-4 and jump directly to SELLING. A few have succeeded, so now many more are skipping 2-4, which is why so much crap is being produced.

I am setting my standard otherwise. Call me silly. I understand that selling is important, but here is my ladder.

I did self-publishing. Whoopee.
I did Pseudo-publishing (PublishAmerica). Hurray.
I am now looking at small, but real, publisher. Fingers crossed.
The next step is big, BIGGER, GIGANTIC publisher. Dream.

Such is my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Kellycakes

Kellycakes

Female

PostSubject: Re: Successful Procedures   Successful Procedures Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2010, 11:32 pm

You mean some people don't even bother to edit at all? Sounds good, but I have a very hard time believing that anyone has succeeded in this industry without doing at least some simple editing.If they don't want to read over their own work, what makes them think that someone else wants to read it?

I am currently looking at small publishers as well. Good luck in your search Terish!
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Successful Procedures ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Successful Procedures Caring10

PostSubject: Re: Successful Procedures   Successful Procedures Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2010, 11:37 pm

I agree with Kelly. I wouldn't want my work published until I haven't gone over it at least once. I mean isn't it important how your writing looks like when you send it in? Doesn't that show how good of a writer you actually are?

I honestly doubt that there are writers out there that write a perfect book without editing it. Do you?
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
Snacker

Successful Procedures ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Successful Procedures Caring10

PostSubject: Re: Successful Procedures   Successful Procedures Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2010, 11:46 pm

Oh and Terish, you said you did self-publishing. Have you had any success with it and where did you publish it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
Kellycakes

Kellycakes

Female

PostSubject: Re: Successful Procedures   Successful Procedures Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2010, 12:00 am

I don't think there are any perfect books. There are classics but even those have flaws.
Back to top Go down
TerishD

Successful Procedures ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Successful Procedures Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   Successful Procedures Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2010, 10:21 am

Gad, Snacker and Kellycakes, buy some books from independent publishers. Purchase a few books from ANY publisher that you consider. I have bought from Metier Books, Dorrance, PublishAmerica, and a number of others. You would be surprised at the crap you will receive. That is actually what drives me to get published by a better company; I don't want to be associated with crap. When people see PublishAmerica, they think of crap. Yes, I am proud to show of my books - they did a fine job - but I know for a fact that my books are roses in a pile of manure.

My fear with a better company is that they will want me to change my stuff to fit their generic vision. I have to say again that I don't enjoy books from the bookstore. At least, not fiction. I find hard science books to have more creativity than the fiction section. My friends will discuss political books, mathematical treatises, and such with much more depth than fiction. A fiction book is often tossed out with the words, "Hey, it was all right." A non-fiction book is however tossed out with a flow of thought that often has us wanting to read just so we can comprehend something new. Truth is stranger than fiction is usually true, even in the bookstore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Successful Procedures   Successful Procedures Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Successful Procedures
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: