Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Pet Peeves - Page 2 Empty33%Pet Peeves - Page 2 Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Pet Peeves - Page 2 Empty67%Pet Peeves - Page 2 Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Pet Peeves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Pet Peeves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Pet Peeves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Pet Peeves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Pet Peeves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Pet Peeves - Page 2 EmptyPet Peeves - Page 2 Voting_bar2Pet Peeves - Page 2 Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Pet Peeves - Page 2 EmptyPet Peeves - Page 2 Voting_bar2Pet Peeves - Page 2 Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Pet Peeves

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
HYdraMStar

Pet Peeves - Page 2 Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Pet Peeves - Page 2 Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Pet Peeves - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2009, 12:03 am

You're still doing better then me Urs. Around here you bring up the fact you write and more often then not you'll hear something like "I don't read" or "why read when they make all the good books into movies". Hell, I have had people in my neighborhood stop their cars when they see me standing down at my daughter's school bus stop reading while I wait for her and ask me why I read so much. I hate to paint all Southerners as illiterate, not the least of which because I'm a Southerner myself, but damn if some of these people aren't working really hard to live up to the stereotype.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Urs

Pet Peeves - Page 2 ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Pet Peeves - Page 2 Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2009, 12:30 am

HYdraMStar wrote:
"why read when they make all the good books into movies".

I have no idea why I found this so funny, but I did.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Skwerly

Pet Peeves - Page 2 Scribbler-1
Skwerly

Male
Number of posts : 79
Current Mood : Pet Peeves - Page 2 Th_tha10
Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2009, 2:07 pm

I had a dead-end job working parking garage booths, and I would read CONSTANTLY. I could not believe the amount of questions like, "What are you reading? Is it good?" that I got. Mostly from Hispanics. In fact, probably all from Hispanics, now that I think about it.

Most of them asked if I was reading the Bible. Gotta love Catholics haha.

It's both amusing and extremely sad at the same time to think that some of these people have never read a book for personal pleasure in their entire lives. I started reading at like 2 years old, and was heavily into it by kindergarten. Of course, I was weird and I don't expect everyone to do that, but WOW, read a book now and again!

It's the best therapy (well, that and chess) that I have ever found for a cluttered brain.

So, yea, the Why do you read so much? crowd thoroughly irks me as well. In fact, it got to the point where I was answering that question with numbers. Seriously. I became a local celebrity for it, and everyone started doing it, once they figured out what I was doing (which was avoiding the question entirely).

Worker bee: Hey! Why are you reading every time I see you?

Me: 47.

Worker bee: Wha? (giggles).

Me. 534.

Worker bee: Oh, ok.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2009, 4:14 pm

wonder if they thought were some rain-man or guy with plans to break Vegas.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Pet Peeves - Page 2 Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Pet Peeves - Page 2 Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2009, 4:31 pm

You got to tell you did this every happen while reading any of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide novels, because that would have just been too good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Pet Peeves - Page 2 Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   Pet Peeves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 1:17 pm

I find the biggest problem with reading is the promoted concept of: getting away for a nice quiet period. Me, and most people, truthfully seldom have a nice quiet period. Reading thus becomes something that most "would ike to do." I know many people that would read, IF "they only had the time."

I read while at at red lights. Sitting there like some doofus waiting for a machine to run a timer is not how I want to spend my life. I thus pick up and read a paragraph. As many stop lights as we have in our town, I can sometimes read a whole chapter going to the store. I will also bring a book when I go to the bank, pay bills, or dealing with any business (besides simple shopping). I hate to simply sit and wait, but a book makes me feel that the time is well spent (as well as passes faster).

That is what we need to promote. Not just reading, but filling the holes in one's day with reading. A book is not something to "get away and do," but something to make one's life complete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 6:27 pm

ok... that is sooooooo going on my list of things to try... reading while waiting in line
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pet Peeves
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: