Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
The Espresso Book Machine Empty33%The Espresso Book Machine Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
The Espresso Book Machine Empty67%The Espresso Book Machine Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
The Espresso Book Machine Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
The Espresso Book Machine Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
The Espresso Book Machine Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
The Espresso Book Machine Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
The Espresso Book Machine Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
The Espresso Book Machine EmptyThe Espresso Book Machine Voting_bar2The Espresso Book Machine Empty 
TerishD (1441)
The Espresso Book Machine EmptyThe Espresso Book Machine Voting_bar2The Espresso Book Machine Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

The Espresso Book Machine

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
HYdraMStar

The Espresso Book Machine Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : The Espresso Book Machine Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

The Espresso Book Machine Empty
PostSubject: The Espresso Book Machine   The Espresso Book Machine Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2009, 1:28 pm

You can find some pretty good images and info on the machine here.

I find this machine so interesting because a few years ago I was on a different message board and the every ugly debate of self-publishing came up and someone had argued that in the future there would be bookstores that printed books on demand and in effect would stock every and all books and traditional vs. self-publishing wouldn't matter. Now, this isn't exactly the case here, but it does seem like a step in that direction.

Edit: locations where the machines can be found, from the machine makers main site, here.

Last edited by HYdraMStar on July 13th 2009, 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

The Espresso Book Machine ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : The Espresso Book Machine Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   The Espresso Book Machine Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2009, 4:23 pm

Yes, it would be great if YOUR (or mine, etc.) book was on the list. You and I both know however that IF such a machine appeared, it would be placed by a big named publisher and would only handle THEIR books. Kinda like going to a Coke machine and wanting a Pepsi - it ain't gonna happen.

Now, could you or I buy such a machine and have it handle the books we would like it to handle? Yes, and with a few autographs from other authors on documents about rights and royalties we could wait for people to actually make a purchase. Of course, the machine would require a place where it had internet hookup, along with a site able to handle a credit card (Probably about $20+ for a book). The first machine would be a pain to set up, but after that almost all lessons would be learned. We would STILL be waiting for someone to make a purchase however.

Still, getting our product in front of the customer is the first main problem, and this could possibly solve it - if only we independents could get the financing and organization to do it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
HYdraMStar

The Espresso Book Machine Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : The Espresso Book Machine Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: The Espresso Book Machine   The Espresso Book Machine Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2009, 4:43 pm

Actually, one of the online stories I found about the machine featured a few lines about a woman who'd gone into one of the shops that already has one of these machines up and running to have her own book published. I think she was planning to take the copy or copies and send them out to agents and I don't know what if any system is in place for self-published authors to get their work included in the database, but there doesn't seem to be any limits put on what they'll print besides the obvious copyright allowances.

I've edited in a link to find the current locations where the machine can be found.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Urs

The Espresso Book Machine ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : The Espresso Book Machine Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: The Espresso Book Machine   The Espresso Book Machine Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2009, 6:16 pm

Hummm...

I would have thought that Staples or Office Max would have been a prime choice for a device like this.

I could see one like this every book store for those "Hard to find", out of Print, or maybe even one exclusively for the "Self Published" authors, that way they are not taking up shelf space for the mainline publishers and other more desired books.

I think this is a great to tell the truth!

Can't wait to see if this changes the face of publishing.

Who knows, there may come a day when you go to the beech, pick up a soda and a book from a vending machine and then go enjoy the sun for the next few hours.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Espresso Book Machine   The Espresso Book Machine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Espresso Book Machine
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: