Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Me (they said this title's too short) Empty33%Me (they said this title's too short) Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Me (they said this title's too short) Empty67%Me (they said this title's too short) Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Me (they said this title's too short) EmptyMe (they said this title's too short) Voting_bar2Me (they said this title's too short) Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Me (they said this title's too short) EmptyMe (they said this title's too short) Voting_bar2Me (they said this title's too short) Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Me (they said this title's too short)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
johnmac

Me (they said this title's too short) NewScribbler-1
johnmac

Male
Number of posts : 17
Current Mood : Me (they said this title's too short) Workin10
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Me (they said this title's too short) Empty
PostSubject: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 12:50 pm

Hiya Scribblers,
Snacker told me to put something in Appendages - so I hope I'm in the right place - just finding my way round at the moment - here goes :-

I'm a professional writer. I've had 3 novels published, with a 4th coming out later this year (I hope) and I'm writing a 5th. I've written 2 screenplays, one of which won the IndieProducer Screenwriter award in LA. I've scripted 9 of Shakespeare's plays for graphic novels. I've written drama for TV, radio and stage (London & Paris). I've 'ghosted' books for media celebs, politicians and business-people. What else - I'm sure there's eomething, but I've forgotten.

I like Guinness, Rugby Union, my wife, green tea, dogs (although i don't have one at the moment), music (particularly Patricia Pettibon), film (particularly The Sterile Cuckoo) and other stuff that just won't come to mind right now.

I'm currently writing a screenplay for a film called The Price of Money - a kind of Guy Richie London gangster movie. My new novel is about a man who believes he's King of America. I'm scripting The Merchant of Venice for graphic novel and I'm hoping to get involved in a fantasy project called Day Of Evil, inclorpoating graphics and music.

Why am I here? Somebody invited me - although I can't remember who.

Anybody want's to know anything else, just ask - I'll answer if I can.

All the very best, JohnMac.
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnfmcdonald.co.uk
Swami

Me (they said this title's too short) ScribbleSuperr
Swami

Male
Number of posts : 147
Current Mood : Me (they said this title's too short) Th_hap10
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 12:56 pm

Wow, hello!

Quite the resume to find on a forum lol

Very Happy

I suspect you get asked where you get your ideas from all the time so i will ask how much you hate it when you're asked that . . .

it's a good a question as any lol
Back to top Go down
http://unsaneculture.forumotion.net
johnmac

johnmac

Male

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 1:06 pm

I don't hate it at all.
OK, let's see if I can say where my ideas come from :-
My first novel's about Gypsies - I used to work with them to earn money when I was going to college. My 2nd novel's about a schizophrenic bouncer - I worked as a bouncer and met many schizophrenics - my 3rd novel's about the meaning of life, which I know.
The graphic novels are just adaptations of what old Will Shakespeare's already written.
The screenplay that won the award is an adaptation of my 1st novel. The one I'm writing now is a commission and I've been given the plot/story in synopsis form.
What else? TV/Stage drama was about an Irish hunger striker - I'm Irish.
I know this is very brief, but I'm happy to give you more details ... if you're interested.
I'll take a look at your sites.
Thanks for getting in touch.
Devoirs! JohnMac
Back to top Go down
Swami

Swami

Male

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 1:17 pm

Thanks!

I asked the question I did because I think ideas come naturally, like you pointed out they were associated with your life. the brain acts as an automaton, processing outside data and feeding it to you in the forms of thoughts and ideas etc
So when people ask where you get your ideas from there's not really many answers you can give, they just happen naturally.

The sites are part of my signature, sorry LOL it will come up everytime I post I weren't trying to promote them to you lol though we do like a diverse group of users so if you joined that would be cool.

I'm sure you don't want to sift through people's stories, or writings day in and day out by I posted a prologue and 1st chapter in the Literatures features section, if you ever get a moment I would love some feedback, and criticism is best served brutal Very Happy

Thanks for taking the time to register and answer questions, you will be a big inspiration for everyone.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Me (they said this title's too short) Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Me (they said this title's too short) Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 4:40 pm

You seem like a very busy guy, welcome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

Me (they said this title's too short) ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Me (they said this title's too short) Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Hello   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 5:33 pm

I have read your posts elsewhere, and glad that you have decided to actually introduce yourself. Glad to have somebody that is 'official' here, as it could help those of us that are trying to do it our own way keep some balance. I hope that you continue to hang around.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
johnmac

johnmac

Male

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 8:02 pm

Hi HydraMstar,
We've met before.
I'll check out your blogs.
Back to top Go down
johnmac

johnmac

Male

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2009, 8:05 pm

Hiya TerishD,
Never been called 'offical' before - I hope it's cool.
If I can help anybody in any way - it would definitely make my day!

Fantasy puts more ....... hmmmmmm!
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Me (they said this title's too short) Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Me (they said this title's too short) Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2009, 7:43 pm

johnmac wrote:
Hi HydraMstar,
We've met before.
I'll check out your blogs.

Have we? Where?

Oh, and the blog links are just part of my signature, not a personal invite to you alone, but feel free to visit them anytime.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
johnmac

johnmac

Male

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2009, 4:01 am

You said ....
"Sounds like if a guy like Max becomes honest he'd lose everything worth losing, including his freedom. Not smart, but also sounds like an interesting read ... as long as it doesn't attempt to teach me any morals, I hate that"
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Me (they said this title's too short) Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2009, 1:39 am

The brief interlude in your blog.

You have to understand, living on stupid street has it's disadvantages and influences.

Glad to see the formal into and it was enlightening to see how diverse your life has been and where you get your ideas from.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
johnmac

johnmac

Male

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2009, 7:55 am

Hi guys,
Ain't put anything on here for a while - been busy with a screenplay (The Price Of Money) and new novel coming out in September (Otherwise Kill Me) and Shakespeare (Merchant of Venice) and stuff (biog of Christopher Columbus).
Hope everybody is well and staying cool!
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Me (they said this title's too short) Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2009, 10:56 am

Glad to see you are doing so well and keeping busy!
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Swami

Swami

Male

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2009, 1:13 pm

I have a question: How long does it take you to complete a novel starting from the very first idea? And does speed come naturally? I only ask because I started writing a story two years ago and its not complete yet, I seem to be taking a phenomenally long time but I do have work and family obligations, if I was writing for a living I would have a lot more time to do it.
Back to top Go down
johnmac

johnmac

Male

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2009, 2:37 pm

For me, minimum of 1 year to complete a novel, because I like to get it all down as quickly as possible, even in a very rough state - but that's just 1st draft. Then I re-write, then I re-write again, then I re-write again, then I ...
There really is no time limit. I know someone who can write 100,000 words in a month, but other people take 10 years. It's when you're completely happy with what you've written - then it's done.

I'm talking full-time, of course. It's extremely difficult to write part-time, firstly because you're normally tired when you've finished a day's work and, secondly, there's always other demands on your time - especially if you've got a family.
Back to top Go down
Swami

Swami

Male

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitimeJune 6th 2009, 2:58 pm

I believe then I am on the right track, as I started out writing a few chapters, then rewriting them, and rewriting them, then writing a few more, doing some rewrites and so on. Its 2 years later and I have over 130,000 words, and still got about 60-70,000 words coming at least.. I have started lately to attack a chapter with a pen and notepad, really get it down quick and rough, then I type it out with a lot of editing and making it read better, so I'm slowly gaining speed and momentum. Then, I have to shape it into something readable.

Still a while to go then! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Me (they said this title's too short)   Me (they said this title's too short) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Me (they said this title's too short)
Page 1 of 1