PortalHomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Empty33%the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Empty67%the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Two (6-8A)
the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part One (1-5)
the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2019, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Black and White - Part 7 (32-36)
the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2019, 6:44 am by TerishD

» To Know Black and White - Part 6 (26-31)
the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2019, 6:37 am by TerishD

» To Know Black and White - Part 5 (20-25)
the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSeptember 7th 2019, 6:47 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Emptythe last person to post here wins - Page 16 Voting_bar2the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Empty 
TerishD (1390)
the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Emptythe last person to post here wins - Page 16 Voting_bar2the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

the last person to post here wins

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16
AuthorMessage
fleamailman

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Topscribbler-1
fleamailman

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2009-01-17

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeApril 29th 2012, 6:20 am

repost from elsewhere, the goblin welcoming someone

Quote :
so have no fear of goblins...

"...ah no, I was just not to be trusted, never to be feared now..." replied the goblin welcoming xxxxx this sunny afternoon, adding "...no the problem is that if one writes in third person, which admittedly is far more fun than doing all these very standard posts here, one has to pick a persona for oneself and stick to it, because even in choosing no persona at all, it still becomes a persona by it, the persona of an enigma perhaps, so one has to pick something to represent oneself by, that's all...", in fact, the goblin often thought that many writers missed their big chance of enticing readers to their pens by writing so straight laced that the reader thought that they were just addressing someone quite ordinary, whereupon the goblin simply mentioned "...one of the fastest growing writer's forums on forumland, with some of the best writers too, now all one has to do is show those readers who one is by what one posts, and by how one posts it too...", and with that the goblin gave xxxxx a token of his friendship by saying "...you see, on forumland one's persona, far more than one's username, is remembered, where who writes like every one else is "just like everyone else" and "like everyone else is all that it will be, so think of recognizable persona with traceable username as the first two legs of a tripod, the third leg being constant flow of content...", but that was the goblin for you, just another unhinged poster like anyone else it seemed

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Mr-bean-6
167 375 3116
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2012, 10:46 am

repost from "writing style" thread here, finished

Quote :
But I am interested in what you understand the nature of forumland and its readership to be.

"...well from experience..." started the goblin grateful that someone had taken an interest where so much on this forum seemed oriented to elsewhere, so the goblin reiterated the idea of forum readership being that of feeding, saying "...simply we feed each other our posts where this becomes an open to all correspondence perhaps, and where each livewriter stores their posts too, whereas the all the other traits are just individual indulgences, or mere facets of their intended persona...", where perhaps everyone became personas here, or self representations then, just that both the author's persona and his works became two sides of the same coin as both being within the posts then, then the goblin added "...you see, forum readership is not passive reading book-readership like before, it's the writer standing on the thread/stage, feeding from the audience where possible, so now one writes amongst one's readers here not for them or to them, actually amongst them urging them to reply too, feeding them to be fed back, moreover, well if this forum is anything to go by, it's a growing readership albeit one as yet clearly unnoticed for its familiarity, the writers seem very much elsewhere...", whereupon the goblin came clean, he was simply waiting for the livewriters to emerge out of the normal posters here seeing that forumland was where everyone just kept returning to, but as yet few posters had seen any real potential for their posts, instead one saw this constant post and discard each time, a real pity seeing how quickly one could became known by one's posts through just a little refining of them within a practice of air/edit/backup across forums

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Memento
167 376 3189
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2012, 12:06 am

I like that, instead of writing 'for them or to them' you are encouraging them to join you in this incredible journey of the craft. Well played dear goblin, well played.

Risque' Ramblings
Kelly's Facebook
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2012, 2:15 am

("...thanks..." replied the goblin, quickly continuing "...actually it goes from strength to strength, did an anonymous interview in a writer's magazine, also I have many threads where it's over 30,000hits, etc., but none of that means anything because that's the reading side of things whereas my goal is feeding as in rapport...")

repost from elsewhere

“...in its way the capitalist system within each country becomes a sort of direct democracy now, where investors simply vote by way of their investments as in a vote of “confidence” or “no confidence” perhaps...” mentioned the goblin, seeing that it was not what the european governments could actually promise each other, nor implement by way of austerity programs either, that changed anything much, no, instead much boiled down to whether investors could still be persuaded to keep their investment in something that looked increasingly like a ship badly listing on a sea of inflationary debt and uncertainty, so the goblin simply asked the readers here, to imagine themselves as the investors now, and to see whether they would still invest their savings in these european countries, or america for that matter, saying “...well then, if your answer in either case is one of “no” or even “no way” then can one really blame the investors scrambling out of the market at this point...” simply, the goblin felt that the game was up, that neither governments, nor banks, nor even ourdearmedia could kept humpty dumpty economy from falling now...”

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Humptydumpty1
167 521 6586

Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeJune 4th 2012, 5:26 am

repost from elsewhere

Quote :
The goblin really should be looking over his shoulder...shopping migration ? really? Seems to me, your obvious talent is writing fantasy .....And you are really good!!!

"...ah no, once you have been thoroughly stomped upon by a hoard of marauding mummies who have mistaken you for terry wogan on their way to shoe shop once more, you will learn that fantasy, this forumland then, is a very serious business indeed..." mentioned the goblin now, adding "...no, either one takes out "mommy insurance", or one blends into the scenery, or one distracts her with lines like and then he took her in to his arms, yes it had been those shoes all along, as slowly he unfastened each delicate fascinating feminine shoe-buckle knowing that his emotion was about to cave in against a crescendo of wild inner torrential passion for her, here, so alone together, and now too, while walking backwards gently retracing one's steps till the moment one could actually dash off...", yes, the goblin had been on "women's interest forums" before, where indeed they were very avid grazers of posts and little escaped their attention too, just that one had to become very agile amongst them

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Grovel
167 379 3261
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2012, 6:25 am

repost from elsewhere

"...for me there is both this dailylife around me then, and that which is actually inside me, something that isn't my dailylife so much as my anonymity perhaps but still very much me though..." ventured the goblin guessing one had to render unto each its requirements then, but thinking too, that where things start to go wrong was when someone tried to bring their dailylife part and parcel onto forumland like as if forumland was some facebook wall for those irrelevant externals, saying "...personal choice I know, but when I joke that my motto is anonymous on forumland, invisible in dailylife the joke merely states my intention of keeping this forumland and my dailylife totally apart, why, because if one is ever looking over one's shoulder as to who might be reading this on the one hand, or trying to impress one's readers with one's externals on the other, then honesty goes straight out the window, and instead, one might as well skip forumland altogether and simply return to facebook for more dollops of one's externals..."

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Failbook
167 380 3284
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2012, 2:12 am

repost from elsewhere

"...welcome friend, if you will allow me to call you one..." went the goblin knowing that if they kept all the writertypes together on one writer's forum, then the rest of forumland would just be able to continue undisturbed by those ungainly sudden flashes of literary genius that are all so upsetting to more normal people elsewhere, adding "...no, here at least, one can indulge all those writer's failings of yours to one's fullest, and still no one will think you're actually insane because they will just suspect that you are only trying to express yourself as a writer would, yes, safety in numbers I suppose, almost normal perhaps..."

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 810
167 381 3318
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeJuly 1st 2012, 1:17 pm

repost from elsewhere

"...well, just think of all this as one short journey to self across forumland in posts goblin..." mentioned the slot again kindly enough though, continuing "...for that's all this anonymous posting will ever be for you goblin where, what with nothing to prove nor defend nor with any starting point nor finish line neither, without direction too, and where whatever one posts, however often one posts it too, and however far one posts now, it's ever forumland beyond you still, where somewhere is as everywhere, which is as anywhere being nowhere then, simply that, what with you're being anonymous my dear goblin, you never really were on a medium that never really was, so welcome to your anonymity between us now..."

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Bob1
167 382 3342
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2012, 4:05 pm

repost from "introductions" section, finished

"...ah, I like your writing style already human, much originality it seems, so welcome to our forum/venue now..." went the goblin looking forward to yet more to read perhaps, adding "...you see, at first, everybody wants to practice their writing here for that elsewhere, until slowly they see that it's actually here in fact that everyone else is turning up too to read the works directly, so the username just becomes the authorname now where each post one does becomes yet another work by you to those readers then, save that there aren't any those reader here, no, they're all these readers now as in us perhaps...", merely the goblin imagined that more and more readers are coming to this forum to follow their preferred author or build up a rapport with them now, adding "...so no, this isn't some bootcamp forum to practice correct writing niceties for elsewhere, far from it, it's the battlefield itself, so good luck with your posts now as your readers surround you here where you are very much these posts to them..."

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Groves_Abandon_Ship_AWE
167 383 3374
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2012, 2:30 am

repost from "trumping the writer stereotype" thread here, finished

Quote :
I've worked with a lot of writers, and the one thing they all have in common is that they're nothing like that. 99.9% of writers are ordinary people. 0.1% make headlines.

the goblin agreed since he imagined that both psychopaths and schizophrenics shared that same normalness with the writertypes here, where to all intents and purposes, indeed they looked and acted quite normally, and yet, under certain circumstances their true nature would suddenly burst through resulting in dead bodies and inexplicable behavior in the former, and write-ups about dead bodies and inexplicable behavior in the latter, yes those thrillers and mystery novels then, in fact, the goblin often had difficulty trying to picture what was the norm amongst humans anyway, saying "...somehow the more normal it gets the more surreal it becomes..."

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Psycho-05
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2012, 5:49 am

repost from "your must have a roadmap" thread, finished

Quote :
In the link in the original post, academy award winners are broken down. Call them meat and two veg writing if you want.

"...simply if you write by rules, then it'll end up looking written by rules then, similarly if you write like everyone else does, then just like everyone else is how it will be ..." replied the goblin, adding "...so why do we kept returning to this forum/venue, moreover to each post on this thread/stage now, why are you reading this, well, could it be that you want something concise to react your mind to, something to reply to too...", and then the goblin compromised a bit, saying "...look, if we're only talking about writing for your "academy award" book winning whatever, then I'll let be, besides, I'm not a book writer so I've no right to comment, however, if we're talking about actual readership here, then I suspect that I have more right than most to comment at this point, where if you're trying to bring in some must have a roadmap idea into livewriting too, aka writing within these posts, then I'm really really sorry, even this forum alone is ample proof that that must have a roadmap idea is not what livewriting is about, for there are no "musts" nor "writing rules" nor "roadmaps" to livewriting, no there is only one's own experimentation towards it, so I guess I'll repeat what I said before that what works for you is actually what works for you, forget the rest, where people who see ghosts see those ghosts regardless of however others may judge it and regardless too of whichever rules might be superimposed from above, just you lay down your hard and fast set must have a roadmap idea upon the shifting sand of the writer's temperament, yett temperament is ever subjective here..."

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 ObamaHellNo-1
167 385 3464
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2012, 5:15 pm

repost from "introductions" section, finished

"...welcome..." started the goblin, adding "...why of course, this place not only allows for writing and critics, it actually encourages it too, but it also allows for any old gossip as well, simply each poster is entirely free to fill up their posts with the content of their choice in the way they see fit according to their own needs and towards their own goals too, with none of those normal fetters of how writing should be, of cloning perfectionism then, or having us all matching down the threads in some grammatical goose-step either, ah no, simply write what you want to now, they're your posts after all, and you're very welcome amongst us...", in fact, the goblin often felt that most actors ended up doing infinitely better acts when they became the part they were acting rather than when they hesitated over it, they got better simply by the practice then, like painters too got better by painting, and where even writers too, once they were released out their formal straight jackets of writing rules into that padded cell of their imagination, wrote infinitely better, yes they only needed to share their works with each other it seemed

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Adairhull
167 386 3508
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2012, 12:36 pm

repost from the "about dialogue" thread

Quote :
I'm curious about dialogue. I read through the tips in the proper section. The lessons about using "said" after saying something in a book. But, I have seen where authors who have sold millions of copies have things in there book like... "she said coldly." Or "she said enthusiastically."

whereupon the goblin showed up, though only for a moment and then simply said "...well there are many ways to do dialogue imaginatively now, but some of your best friends are going to be editing, practice and trail and error, and above all persistence, but then again if all your posts were in third person, like mine always are, then you'd be practicing that dialogue, and the narration too, within each post then..." at which point the chorus in the background seemed to be waving their hands warning the reader here not to trust the goblin around this point, so the goblin came clean instead, admitting "...well yes, I suppose I should mention that there's no turning back for any persona you settle on to remain credible here, simply that mask, whichever one you choose for yourself now, which is the same thing as a persona isn't it, must become you like a glove fits your hand, but your posts, moreover your writing too, would then benefit by your being forced to narrate each time, possibly using dialogue too, but how can I tempt you now I wonder..."

the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Devildwebster
168 387 3565
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the last person to post here wins   the last person to post here wins - Page 16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the last person to post here wins
Page 16 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: Scribbles Cafe'-
Jump to: