Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Empty33%I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Empty67%I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge EmptyI am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Voting_bar2I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Empty 
TerishD (1441)
I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge EmptyI am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Voting_bar2I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Genivre

I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge NewScribbler-1

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-11-18

I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Empty
PostSubject: I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge   I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2008, 1:42 am

Greetings fellow writers,
I am in the process of expanding my resume and would like to add fiction to my experience. I will proofread a chapter of anything you are currently writing at no charge. Materials should be no shorter than ten pages and no longer than thirty pages. I will return pages to you with corrections within 48 hours. I can indicate corrections either on Microsoft Word using the "Track Changes" feature or on a hard copy. In exchange, I ask that you allow me to add your name and the title of your work to my resume. I will not plagiarize your work or share it with anyone else.
Happy to have stumbled across Scribbles!
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge   I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2008, 8:24 am

Two things.

One, you should give a word count minimum and maximum. I mean a person could easily reformat their pages and fonts to fit a whole 70,000+ word novel onto thirty Microsoft Word pages if they really wanted to.

Second, would you consider proofing a short story instead of a chapter? I just think that would be more practical and beneficial to both the writers and yourself. I mean, sure it would be a learning experience to have you proof one chapter of my book, but I'd have to turn right around and get someone else to proof and/or edit the rest. Plus, unless you're going to indicated exactly which chapters/pages you proofed, you wouldn't want to put something on resume that ends up getting posted/published somewhere and is poorly proofed everywhere else.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Kellycakes

I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge   I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2008, 2:31 am

I have to agree with Hydra. If something that you've worked on gets published and you've only worked on one or two chapters of a piece of say 30 chapters, those two aren't going to make much of a difference to readers or anyone else involved if the other 28 or so are crap.

I see you're expanding your resume, can you tell us a little about your work and who, if anyone you've worked with in the past?

By the way, I'd like to welcome you to Scribbles and we too are glad to have you aboard.
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge   I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I am a freelance proofreader looking to work free of charge
Page 1 of 1