Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Introductory and Rules to RPGing Empty33%Introductory and Rules to RPGing Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Introductory and Rules to RPGing Empty67%Introductory and Rules to RPGing Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Introductory and Rules to RPGing Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Introductory and Rules to RPGing Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Introductory and Rules to RPGing Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Introductory and Rules to RPGing Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Introductory and Rules to RPGing Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Introductory and Rules to RPGing EmptyIntroductory and Rules to RPGing Voting_bar2Introductory and Rules to RPGing Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Introductory and Rules to RPGing EmptyIntroductory and Rules to RPGing Voting_bar2Introductory and Rules to RPGing Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Introductory and Rules to RPGing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bick

Introductory and Rules to RPGing ScribbleSuperr
Bick

Female
Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Introductory and Rules to RPGing Empty
PostSubject: Introductory and Rules to RPGing   Introductory and Rules to RPGing Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 11:24 pm

You’re eyes flow down the forum homepage. You look at all the boards, but none has yet to catch your attention. You stop at the picture of a coffee cup, and read:

Scribblers Café

You can’t help but feel the need to click it, within a few seconds the page loads. Your eyes first hit the list of topics, but you stop at the top of the page. You eye it and scratch your head. What could this mean? Role-playing Games? You click on the text, and you’re suddenly sent to a sub-forum. You pause for a moment, and try to search your vocabulary. You’ve no idea what they could mean!

That’s when you notice a sticky, and it appears to have rules for this so-called RPG. You click on it swiftly and your eyes are hit with more text. You sigh as you start to read….

Introduction to RPGing

The GM:

The Game Master or more commonly called the GM is the creator of the board of which the RPG you’ll be joining. They create the setting, the plot and their own storylines. There are many different kinds of GMs, some get into the game as characters, some set up a challenge for you and your fellow game players to follow. There are some that may incorporate both ideas into the RPG. The GM’s word is law. If they ask you to change something, please do.

It is all in fun Smile But it is their game, so be curtious!

Your Character:

When it comes to Role-playing, you need to understand how to create a character. The character you make is vital, you should know them inside and out. When you participate in the role-playing game this character will be you. Know their personality, and think hard on reactions. You don’t want to go out of character.

The General Character Sheet:

This isn’t the exact template for each RPG, some of them differ by genre and what exactly the GM is looking for.

Quote :
Name: (First, Middle, Last)
Nickname:
Appearance:
Hair:
Eyes:
Weight:
Height:
Complexion/Race:
Attire:
Other:
Personality:
History:

Names. To break it down, let’s start with the first two as they Coincide. I’d assume that everyone that comes to the RPG section will have already been writing, and considers themselves a writer. When you pick a character for a story or a novel, you will usually try and find the perfect name for your characters personality and description. It’s no different with RPGs. If you think your character would have a nickname, put one. Not all characters have a nickname, and for that matter not all characters will have a middle or last name. I’ve seen a fair few of those mysterious beings that go by one name and one name only.

Gender, Age. That’s just general, there’s not much to explain there. It’s good to know in case they do look much like the opposing sex. Age is easy, and usually goes with Appearance and personality.

Appearance. Have fun with this! Let us really see what you see in your mind now. Everything is self-explanatory for Appearance but when it comes to other, you might need some guidance. Other: is for that extra stuff that other players might notice about your character. It’s all about appearance. Maybe they have a disease of a sort, or maybe there are visual differences. Are they missing a few fingers? Do they have scars, if so where? Is there something about them that fellow players would notice that was not mentioned in the appearance list?

Personality. This is definitely something you need to think hard on. Are they shy? Or are they outgoing? Are they a people pleaser, or are they very outspoken? Just use your imagination and explain to us what you see in that beautiful mind of yours.

History. This should usually be thought out. What is your characters past and how did they get to the present? You can go into as little or as much detail as you want. This really helps make a character more three-dimensional.

When you’re done, post it up!

Game Play:

The game doesn’t start until the GM makes the starting/introductory post. Once he/she makes it, you can start the fun! What you first should do is make your own introductory post. More then usually an RPG will start with your character needing to get to a certain point, sometimes characters just run into each other. Introductory posts consist of what you were doing before this moment in time happened. How will you get there? What are your character’s thoughts?

Once you get interaction with other characters it is vital to know, you ONLY control your character. This takes a little getting use to. When you perform an action to another character you have to watch yourself and make sure it doesn’t seem like you’re controlling what happens to their character.

Example 1:

Quote :
His eyes penetrated my back, sending a shiver down my spine. I swiftly turned, my sword held tightly in my strong hands, my hair flung over my face, and I stared. My stance was defensive and my stance unalterable. I yelled defiantly as I ran forward at full speed, my sword came at him and sliced his left arm before he could parry.

Incorrect. It was all fine until I got to the end, you cannot say you sliced his arm. You must give the opposing character a chance to react to your post. Let’s change this up a bit.

Quote :
His eyes penetrated my back, sending a shiver down my spine. I swiftly turned, my sword held tightly in my strong hands, my hair flung over my face, and I stared. My stance was defensive and my stance unalterable. I yelled defiantly as I ran forward at full speed, my sword came at him and I aimed towards his left arm.

You may aim all you’d like, but it is up to the opposing character whether it hits, and he/she will in turn react.

There is also a rule of thumb with this, Your character will not be perfect! When fighting, you can’t have every attack miss. Most characters that are made—when it comes to fighting, are skilled at some level. You will not be all godly over others and at times age really does make a difference. Common sense comes well in the portion of RPGing.

Example 2:

Quote :
His eyes hit hers, and he couldn’t help but look away. Her beauty was beyond anything he could imagine. That smooth dark skin, those pert, thin lips, and that gaze of hers. That mesmerizing gaze that he couldn’t get out of his mind! He looked towards her again, his eyes going down her body, missing her eyes. He looked up her slender legs, and stopped at her bosom. He blushed and turned away. He started to walk away when something egged him at the back of his mind. He turned swiftly and ran towards her, his hands caressing her face. His lips went to hers, and the soft touch of those beautiful lips overwhelmed him. He pulled away quickly and looked at her with wide eyes.

Now, this CAN be okay. If you’re meaning to be really straight forward, and you want to steal that kiss. But as in real life, you should go that 90%, unless your characters personality says otherwise.

Quote :
His eyes hit hers, and he couldn’t help but look away. Her beauty was beyond anything he could imagine. That smooth dark skin, those pert, thin lips, and that gaze of hers. That mesmerizing gaze that he couldn’t get out of his mind! He looked towards her again, his eyes going down her body, missing her eyes. He looked up her slender legs, and stopped at her bosom. He blushed and turned away. He started to walk away when something egged him at the back of his mind. He turned swiftly and walked to her side. His face burned red as he stopped at her side. His hands wrapped around hers as he leaned towards her, his lips slightly perched. He’d only hope she’d meet him the rest of the way.

All in all, all you have to do is enjoy yourself. Go with the flow and even let out your own storyline. All characters have their own, after all.

Have fun. Interact, and remember, it is just a game!

Last edited by Bick on September 26th 2008, 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bick

Introductory and Rules to RPGing ScribbleSuperr
Bick

Female
Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Introductory and Rules to RPGing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductory and Rules to RPGing   Introductory and Rules to RPGing Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2008, 2:08 am

RPG Rules

• No God Modding;; Your character has no possibility of perfection. As in all writing, it should be remotely realistic, even in fantasy and Sci-fi. With action, your character will most likely get hit at some point. Just keep things realistic. {*1}
  • Rule on NPC(Non-Playable characters{*2}): I’ve found this happen in many RPGs. Again, this is aiming more towards any action that might happen, but they do have minds. They will not just stand there and let you hit them. They may not have a literal mind like your own character does, but they are intelligent in some way or fashion and you should make them for what they are, still characters with some ability whether it’s up to your characters standards or not.{*3}
  • Respect for other players is a must. That’s just proper conduct in general.
  • Post lengths: This is a writing forum, and I’m assuming we are all writers here. Short posts are really not needed when you can add detail, thoughts, or dialogue. If it’s under three lines, it really don’t need to be posted and maybe you should wait for more to happen. If that isn’t an option find a way to add more detail. RPGing is definitely made to be fun, but it’s also a wonderful exercise for our writing skills. {*4}[Example to follow.]
  • Control over others characters: You are to only control your own character. There is a thin line between what is right and what isn’t. If you do have a problem with another member ‘controlling’ your character, it might be best to let them know, it’s normally not purposeful. If it continues to happen, contact your GM. Read the RPG Introduction for more information on this.
  • Most Importantly, this is a Game. Enjoy yourself and just have fun. Don’t take things too seriously, that’s what real life is for. An RPG is like a second life, but you can do just about anything you want. So, lay back. Relax, and enjoy yourself!
  • GM Rules: If you're going to make a game, take your time on it. Before posting it up, it is vital for you to PM me, Bick. This PM should contain your RPG, in which you plan on posting up. When given the Okay on the RPG, you may post and enjoy!
  • Discussion Boards: Can be made by the GM, but staying on topic is a must.

{*1}:
Quote :
She could see them under the blanket of darkness hung, their forms almost like folds. She grinned, her fangs dripping blood, as her hands wrapped tightly around the blades in her hands. The fools had thought they could hide. Darkness was her mistress. She jumped from the building, and fell. She fell for what felt like hours, but she knew it took only a mere seconds to fall those 500 floors. She landed on the ground with a gentle thud, the faces of her enemies looking her way. She smiled, as the 1,256 men and women came her way, weapons folded high. She only smiled as her blades came out. Within minutes, she stood blade bloodied, and clothes wet with sweat surrounded by their bodies. She couldn’t help but be impressed by her own skill.

I’m sure we see the problem here, I don’t really think I need to make a correct version. Whether your character is immortal or just a short little 11 year old girl named Skye, you have your limits, and you should leave it open for all to have fun. Having a God character is never fun, struggle is what makes an RPG interesting.

{*2}: Note, non-playable characters are characters that no one really plays but are still a part of the RPG. Think of them as backup dancers or extras in a movie. They are there, but they don’t really seem to have a personality of their own, but at the same time you know they are real people.

{*3}: Scenario: Let’s say you’re playing a soldier, and your group is attacked by a larger group of NPC soldiers.

Quote :
He took his defensive stance as he eyed the oncoming soldiers. His face stayed serious, and his eyes lay on each oncoming figure. He shot forward, his sword still defensive, but his body said otherwise. He aimed towards the first of the men, his sword slicing into the gap in his arm. Leon quickly recoiled, his sword swinging to his side, catching another of the soldiers on the arm. As the soldier fell, he went forward towards the pass, his sword slicing and dicing.

I’m not great with action, so excuse me… and I’m guessing you’re wondering how on earth that was incorrect. It’s not completely incorrect but it’s missing a big part of what makes an RPG fun, a challenge. You didn’t see a single of those NPC soldiers putting up a fight, and that means, you did something just a little wrong. They were soldiers, so of course they have some skill. Soldiers also have armor, so it’s not always going to be as easy as slicing off a head or two. Nothing is perfect of course, but remember to just have fun with it while making it a challenge for all.

{*4}: Okay but not my cup of tea.
Quote :
She ran across the street, and saw the Sheriff.

“How’re you doing Sheriff?” The little girl asked.

Better.
Quote :
She sauntered across the street, after checking for cars. She stopped at the edge of the sidewalk, almost tripping on the sudden inclination. She noticed the Sheriff walking her way, her face straightened quickly. She couldn’t help but think about that gun of his on the side of his hip. The way he walked almost made her feel little again, almost as if she was about to get a whooping. She managed to pull a smile on her face as she looked up at him. He tipped his hat and stopped in front of her, and opened his mouth as if to speak.

“Morning Sheriff, you’re looking fine today!” she said overly cheerfully. She couldn’t help but feel fake, “How’re you doing?”

Last edited by Bick on September 28th 2008, 2:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

Introductory and Rules to RPGing
Page 1 of 1