PortalHomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Something I wanted to share - a competition Empty33%Something I wanted to share - a competition Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Something I wanted to share - a competition Empty67%Something I wanted to share - a competition Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Two (6-8A)
Something I wanted to share - a competition Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part One (1-5)
Something I wanted to share - a competition Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2019, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Black and White - Part 7 (32-36)
Something I wanted to share - a competition Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2019, 6:44 am by TerishD

» To Know Black and White - Part 6 (26-31)
Something I wanted to share - a competition Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2019, 6:37 am by TerishD

» To Know Black and White - Part 5 (20-25)
Something I wanted to share - a competition Icon_minitimeSeptember 7th 2019, 6:47 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Something I wanted to share - a competition EmptySomething I wanted to share - a competition Voting_bar2Something I wanted to share - a competition Empty 
TerishD (1390)
Something I wanted to share - a competition EmptySomething I wanted to share - a competition Voting_bar2Something I wanted to share - a competition Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Something I wanted to share - a competition

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thadd

Something I wanted to share - a competition NewScribbler-1

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Something I wanted to share - a competition Empty
PostSubject: Something I wanted to share - a competition   Something I wanted to share - a competition Icon_minitimeApril 8th 2011, 5:16 am

Dear Friends,

Hello! We hope you are having a wonderful Thursday. Today we write you with official news of our upcoming contest, The 2011 MAR Fineline Competition for Prose Poems, Short Shorts, and Anything In Between.

The winner will receive the $1000 First Prize, plus publication in MAR v. XXXII, no. 1. Ten finalists will also receive notation and possible publication. Everyone who enters will receive the issue featuring the winning selections.

This year's contest will be judged by Peter Conners, Director of BOA Editions and author of collections such as Of Whiskey and Winter and Emily Ate the Wind.

The guidelines:

Who: The contest is open to all writers not associated, past or present, with the judge Peter Conners or MAR.

What: This is a contest for prose poems, short shorts, and any other type of original writings of 500 words or less. Works should not be previoiusly published, or contracted for publication, in print or online.

Where: Entries can be sent to

Mid-American Review Fineline Competition
Dept of English
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403

When: The postmark deadline for the contest is June 1, 2011. Results will be revealed in the fall.

Why: Glory. Other reasons, too, but we're keeping this short.

How: Mail your entries to the address above. The fee for the contest is $5 per piece under 500 words, or $10 for each group of three (check or money order, made out to "Mid-American Review"). Send along an SASE for early results. Entries need not be left anonymous, or have the pieces' genre indicated. Our judge's decision is final.

Good luck! The Fineline is probably our favorite contests each and every year, so we look forward to this incoming selection of entries!

For more information, contact Michael Czyzniejewski at mikeczy@bgsu.edu.

Sincerely,

The Editors
Back to top Go down
http://www.thaddpresley.com

Something I wanted to share - a competition
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: