Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Stories continue, but I am busy Empty33%Stories continue, but I am busy Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Stories continue, but I am busy Empty67%Stories continue, but I am busy Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Stories continue, but I am busy Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Stories continue, but I am busy Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Stories continue, but I am busy Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Stories continue, but I am busy Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Stories continue, but I am busy Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Stories continue, but I am busy EmptyStories continue, but I am busy Voting_bar2Stories continue, but I am busy Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Stories continue, but I am busy EmptyStories continue, but I am busy Voting_bar2Stories continue, but I am busy Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Stories continue, but I am busy

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TerishD

Stories continue, but I am busy ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Stories continue, but I am busy Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Stories continue, but I am busy Empty
PostSubject: Stories continue, but I am busy   Stories continue, but I am busy Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2010, 11:51 am

Okay, things have been really quiet. I thus am again considering topics to hopefully get things active again. My problem is that my life is slightly complicated at the moment. I am assuming that such is true with everyone here as well, so I am thus simply doing an 'Update on My Life' thread.

1) Moving: I finally have access to the piece of family property that I have always wanted. My mother actually owns it at the moment, but that is just a momentary complication (not really, my mother is a fantastic lady). I have been working to clean it up. Last week I laid down 800 ft. of pipe to run water back to where I want to settle. Bought a trailer to act as a home yesterday. Hopefully get the water connected to the public system this coming week, and I can get started on electricity and sewage. With that done, I then will start calling it home, although there is still a lot of work.

2) Gaming, Old: Those that pay attention to links can see that I have changed my sig at the bottom. My new rule book is printed, hard back, and looks wonderful. My players continue to find faults, but it is nice hearing them gripe about something new.

3) Gaming, New: I really do not know if there are gamers up where I am moving. In looking for the plumbing store last week I did find 'Bobbie's Hobbies' in the town. I suspect that it is a arts/craft store with some train stuff, but I did not go in. I plan to do that this week, and see if I can find any role-players.

4) Job: Yep, still unemployed. More prospects up where I am moving than where I am at. I am thus doubly eager to make the move.

Okay, such is my life. I will try to come up with something gaming related later. How are the rest of you doing?
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Kellycakes

Stories continue, but I am busy ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Stories continue, but I am busy Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Stories continue, but I am busy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories continue, but I am busy   Stories continue, but I am busy Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2010, 4:38 pm

Yes, life is definitely very busy at the moment. We moved beginning of April our of a manufactured home and into a house. Thank goodness too. The community we lived in was trying to make us get rid of our dog Pride. He is a lab mix, mix with what? We don't really know. So they told us to get a DNA test, costly? Yes it was so we got one and the test, through some type of error came back that he was a rare Golden White Retriever breed. Hmm, that can't be right, but we gave them the test results anyway and they still weren't happy. So then they gave us two options, leave or get rid of the dog. Since they were letting us out of lease we decided to leave. Problem is we were saving money to move back to Arizona.

Arizona is the only place that feels like home, or has ever felt like home. We only lived there a year but it is, and always will be the place we want to be. Unfortunately our home state is Michigan and when the family needs us, we come. We will work to get home again soon.

The new house is wonderful, big backyard, something we haven't had since we got Pride. Both dogs are enjoying their freedom. I myself is very much enjoying a newly found hobby of gardening. We have an array of veggies and herbs and flowers sprouting up. It is truly wonderful. Only major problems we are having are storms rolling through constantly and we can't get out as much as we'd like.

Bad news for the year so far, my loving sister Julie was diagnosed with Lupus and a Factor 5 blood disorder all at the same time. She is overworking herself and her body is not liking it. Hopefully we can get things to calm down with her soon.

Julie and Simon built a patio, it looks great. Simon got a new grill, he loves it. My parents, my mother in particular is still in need of recovery, too afraid to buy a car. She is back to her shopping everyday, but it is very hard on us kids though.

Other than that I am waiting for my proof copy of my Nano novel, The Rite of the Angel. I'm working on my second novel in that series Cutthroat, and already have idea for the next one. Now if only I can find a decent publisher or even an editor I will be happy.

Everything is well with me and my family. How is everyone else doing?
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com

Stories continue, but I am busy
Page 1 of 1