Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Pet Peeves Empty33%Pet Peeves Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Pet Peeves Empty67%Pet Peeves Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Pet Peeves EmptyPet Peeves Voting_bar2Pet Peeves Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Pet Peeves

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HYdraMStar

Pet Peeves Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Pet Peeves Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2009, 4:57 pm

I was having a conversation recently with my best friend about our odd pet peeves we have and oh boy do I have more then a few of them.

A major one is people who dye their hair, but leave their eyebrows natural. The hair coloring I current buy has a woman on the box who's hair is the shade of red of the dye, but her eyebrows are brown. AHHHH! If these people don't want to put dye on they brows, they make a wide variety of eyebrow pencils, powders and brushes in every color you could ever need. Use them!

So, what are some of yours?
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

Pet Peeves ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Pet Peeves Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2009, 7:20 pm

I have to admit that I also notice the eyebrows. I agree that if a task is to be done, it should be done completely. About the only time that it really bothers me however is in movies. They spend so much time working on CGI effects, then fail with reality.

About having my own pet peeves, I do, but I have also learned that life is not perfect. I will thus mention my pet peeves while not doing anything about them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Urs

Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : Pet Peeves Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2009, 11:00 pm

Oh boy do I have a list of Pet Peeves.

People who pretend to listen to what I am saying while looking at the computer/tv/etc.

I mean seriously, pay attention to me or ignore me, don't fake it!
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
TerishD

TerishD

Male

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2009, 7:11 am

Urs wrote:

People who pretend to listen to what I am saying while looking at the computer/tv/etc.

That sounds like a lady talking. I love to reference a James Bond novel where he says that the most dangerous thing in the world is a car with more than two women in it. Women have to look at each other when they talk. Thus, if the lady driving has to speak or is spoken to by the lady on the back seat (the third lady will be in the back), she has to turn her head completely away from watching the road.

I will be one of those with my eyes on the computer/tv/etc. If I am driving, my eyes will stay on the road. Now, computer programs can be paused or stopped. Depends on what type of movie I am watching whether I can pause it, but usually commercials are coming. Whatever else I am doing will depend. If you just have to make your statement now however, excuse me if I stay interested in what I am interested in (it took a train of thought to get to the point I am at, and I don't want to have to go through all those steps again - thank you).
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2009, 9:25 am

TerishD wrote:
Urs wrote:

That sounds like a lady talking. I love to reference a James Bond novel where he says that the most dangerous thing in the world is a car with more than two women in it. Women have to look at each other when they talk. Thus, if the lady driving has to speak or is spoken to by the lady on the back seat (the third lady will be in the back), she has to turn her head completely away from watching the road.

I will be one of those with my eyes on the computer/tv/etc. If I am driving, my eyes will stay on the road. Now, computer programs can be paused or stopped. Depends on what type of movie I am watching whether I can pause it, but usually commercials are coming. Whatever else I am doing will depend. If you just have to make your statement now however, excuse me if I stay interested in what I am interested in (it took a train of thought to get to the point I am at, and I don't want to have to go through all those steps again - thank you).

Haha, got to love the sexist stereotypes.

For me it boils down to rather I think the person is important enough to warrant my full attention. If they are, then I turn away from whatever movie or game I"m playing (even if I can't pause it) because I the person is more important to me then the pretend world of the game/movie. If however they are someone who is prone to interrupting me with mindless chatter or aren't someone who's opinion or thoughts I value then I keep right on watching the screen or reading the book or whatever, this is the majority of the time... and I never look at other people in the car while I'm driving. Really, who does? No one I know.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2009, 2:38 pm

It is about respect.

Hydra hit home with this mainly, I mean seriously, Either you are, or you are not paying attention to me.

If you want to watch your movie, play your game, or what have you, then do it. I'll go do something else, and leave you alone.

However, I'll equally so extend to you the same feelings and sentiments of your value to me, IE: I'd rather watch a movie, play a video game, or what have you.

But then again, this is a pet peeve of mine, a major one.

Another one that really gets under my skin is people that feel the need to enforce their opnion on others.

Like saying (or more so announcing) "Smoking is bad for you" while I am out side lighting up.

I mean really? Learn to shut up, and the best ones are the ones that act offended when I tell them to go "F--- off"

This starts a long list of Pet Peeves of mine to tell the truth.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2009, 3:30 pm

Is "smoking is bad for you" an opinion in the truest sense? I mean it's pretty much a universally accepted medical fact that smoking causes caner and all other sorts of health complication. But yeah, it's pretty rude to just walk up to someone and say that. In much the same way it would be rude to walk up to someone eating a burger and tell them fast food is bad for you. It's true. We all know it's true and the only purpose I can see in walking over and saying something like that to someone is to show yourself as a "better person".

Now, if you're in someone's home or car or other closed in area and don't ask if it's alright before lighting up then that person has every right to bitch slap you, which is another of my pet peeves. I suffered extensive lung and sinuses damage as a child after a really bad injection that caused one of my sinuses to rupture and my lungs only work at about 65%. So, it's not even a respect issue with me it's a health issue... I also have the same issue with people who over do it with body spray and perfume. I can get a really bad, and I mean REALLY BAD, headache just walking by someone wearing too much perfume.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2009, 4:33 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
Is "smoking is bad for you" an opinion in the truest sense?

In that regard, it all depends on what I want, not what you think I want.

I might add that smoking in some cases is a means of self medication because it can affect and even correct specific mental conditions, like attention deficit disorder (ADD) for example. (referenced from the book "What do you mean I am not stupid, lazy or crazy" by Kate Kelly, and by Dr Amen, "Healing ADD", and "Change your Brain change your Life" )

Quote :
Now, if you're in someone's home or car or other closed in area and don't ask if it's alright before lighting up then that person has every right to bitch slap you, which is another of my pet peeves.

I am so with you on this one too....
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2009, 5:28 pm

I am not a smoker. My immediate family does not smoke, but I have many relatives that do. I even have and had MANY relatives in their 80s and 90s that smoke (and they don't die of lung cancer, but just their bodies finally failing). I will be 50 this coming Saturday, and am a product of fast food and soft drinks. Wonderful health, as are my children (none of which are even close to fat). I thus find that those Health Nuts are like religious fanatics, they speak for themselves while trying to sound like they are giving me good advice.

Urs, make certain that your family history will support smoking. If you are from a family of lung cancer patients, I would give them up quick. There is a differnce in walking a tightrope over a canyon and walking a greased tightrope over a canyon.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 2:32 pm

Most of My Family either died of Heart Attacks, or old age.
Back to top Go down
Skwerly

Pet Peeves Scribbler-1
Skwerly

Male
Number of posts : 79
Current Mood : Pet Peeves Th_tha10
Registration date : 2009-06-21

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 4:09 pm

Of course, as a writer, I hate when folks say things like “I seen him coming”, or “I knew the car was stolden”. Those things really irk me.

I also hate (really, really hate) when folks with 1,000 watt stereo systems can’t bother to turn it down when they enter a neighborhood, or even a parking lot. OK, on the highway or just driving around it might only be a mild annoyance, but when you can hear the dishes in your cupboards rattling because your neighbor is too much of a jerk to turn it down, well...

I guess the top two aren’t officially peeves, they are just annoying. This one is, though. I cannot stand when I’m in a conversation, making a point or telling a story, and it is painfully obvious that the person I’m talking to is simply waiting for their turn to blurt out whatever their small minds have to say, and aren’t listening to a word I’m spouting. Grrrrr...
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 5:49 pm

I pretend to listen to you only long enough to let me have my say....
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2009, 8:35 am

Urs wrote:
Most of My Family either died of Heart Attacks, or old age.

On my mothers side of the family there were a lot of smokers and they all, for the most part, lived well into the 80s and 90s with very few health complication.

On my fathers side they don't smoke or drink, but do overeat and almost everyone has died in their 60s of strokes or cancer.

But I wouldn't put too much stoke in any of that, because the products being produced today, and this is pretty much true across the board with all things, have a Hell of a lot more chemicals and other junk added to them then they did back in our grandparents' day. Nor are we as physically active as they were. Not to get totally off on a tangent, but even simple things like cooking and cleaning or writing a letter to a friend are far less physical tasks then they use to be.
Back to top Go down
Skwerly

Pet Peeves Scribbler-1
Skwerly

Male

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2009, 4:43 pm

Very true, Hydra! We, as a culture, are trying very hard to become as inactive as possible, yet still accomplish as much or more than before!

I guess only time will tell how all this works out, but to me, it’s kind of scary! Smile
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2009, 8:38 pm

YES - EXERCISE! I fully believe that is why me and my kids are not fat. We are a pretty active group. We eat what we want, but we don't stay seated much.

I tell the story of my grandfather. He was a farmer that invented some farm equipment. When he retired, he finally relaxed, but got up one morning and started working hard. When asked, he said that he could not see his feet when he got up that morning, and was going to make sure that he removed his belly and would never lose sight of his feet again. He smoked pretty heavily, but lived until 84. Doctors never fussed at him for smoking, as they said that was not what was killing him.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 11:56 pm

Gotta love Gen Labor jobs for a win on the war against obesity.

Oh yah, back to pet peeves.

This one burns me till no end. Since I work mainly Labor jobs, which means I look like a sun burned red neck that can't open my eyes beyond a squint, so when I am at a gathering, or something, invariably I end up next to some soft skinned guy that feels the need to say "I'm gay"

Now telling me your gay is all cool in my book, but it is the way they say it that burns me. Like they expect me to go running out the door screaming or something. I suppose maybe they are used to bad reactions or something, but when I just grunt and nod, they feel the urge to tell me their gay again. What? I need to act all shocked that a guy that looks sexier in a dress then my last three girl friends might be gay?

I wanna sit them down and say "Look buddy, I'm a guy, I grunted, I nodded, I heard you, that is the best your gonna get" I mean what do you want? Seriously, this drives me nuts. They act like I can't just be "ok" with their life choice because... well not sure.. but they act like I am supposed to do something.

Like maybe start getting all panicked, or maybe feel insecure my own choice, or perhaps suddenly feel the urge to be gay, or get worried that I might be their type, or worse yet, not their type.

Can't I just not really care?

Another thing, I look at porn, which means I see all kinds of naked men engaged in sexual activities, I mean I am really stupid too, I click those links that say "check out my site" and "The best free Hardcore just one click away" and I have to tell you, I have seen things I will never unsee, nor will your last sexcapade trump, so trust me that naked picture or Harry Potter on your cell phone will not unnerve me.

I swear, this has to be one of those peeves that just gets under my skin too, why are people like this?

I mean I don't feel all kinds of like "Oh you would not understand why I have a picture of a naked size E sexy babe on my cell phone" I mean it just burns my britches some days when I have to suffer down that type of... well I am not sure what it is, elitism maybe? but it really gets to me, and pisses me off too...

and truth be told, it makes me not like them... not because they are gay, but because now I think they are being jerks about being gay.

Sorry for the rant.
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2009, 12:44 am

When I first finished high school, I got a job working offshore cleaning up behind the oil men. They had every nudie magazine available. Back then Hustler was making its legend, and they had visuals of some things I really did not care to see. Other magazines did not have the mock-prestige of Hustler, but simply showed everything they could get a lady to show (and do). It was a great job for the time, but not what I wanted as my life. When I taught school the kids would claim that I was gay because I did not react when they said things about sex, not even comprehending that I had seen it either in a magazine or in real life (yes, darling, if you will show it to me, I will look).

I really am not bothered by gay people (male or female). I like women, and I have children because I have shared my life with women. I am also red-neck (by genetics). My sister lives with another lady, and I have no problem with her or her partner. Who you have sex with is not my problem. I want sex with another lady, and if you ain't no lady then I ain't in no mood to consider you (no matter how attractive you look). End of story, and somehow (I guess) gays understand that with me.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2009, 7:58 am

I don't meet a lot of gay men who tell everyone. Might be my location, though I doubt it. What I do get are a lot of gay men who don't think anyone knows they are gay telling me they're gay and expecting me to be shocked, usually I'm not even mildly surprised. Not so much because nothing sexual surprises me anymore, it doesn't, but because they've already let me know in a thousand little ways by their actions, reactions, and just in general being themselves. And I'm not talking about the stereotypical flaming fag stuff either, well not completely, but just a sense you can get about people if you're around them long enough. It is annoying, because often times it comes off like they are expecting me to be disappointed and I think to myself, "I never wanted you anyway," and then when I don't react that way they'll either act disappointed themselves or worse make some comment about how we're never going to "hook-up".

My other pet peeve regarding sexuality are the people who tell me they are either okay or don't accept my "choice" to be bisexual. I usually reply with, "if it's a choice why don't you choose to be gay for a month and let me know how good the sex is for you, because if it's a choice then you should love it." I mean really, who the Hell would choose to gay or bisexual in our society and if gays can just choose to be straight then why do so many young people kill themselves over it and why do so many marriages end because the husband or wife couldn't hide or deny their true sexuality any longer. You might be able to choose what you do about it. I know some people choose not to engage in sex at all, but the actual desire to be with men or women or both isn't a choice.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2009, 10:07 am

Okay, went and read my email and it triggered another of my pet peeves.

People using a sob story as a sales pitch. You see it all the time with street people. You can't take a walk in uptown Charlotte without someone telling you they're down on their luck but if you'll just buy a key chain or beaded necklace from them it'll really help them. No different on social networking sites.

And it's not just your average run of the mill spammers either, you know the ones who friend request you or join up just so they can post their spam. Oh no, a lot of this crap is coming from "real" people who I've had other conversations with.

Last edited by HYdraMStar on September 4th 2009, 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TerishD

TerishD

Male

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2009, 8:14 pm

Yeah, I am not soft on a sob story either. Damn, my life is one hard-luck situation after another, but I make it through each day. I feed myself and my boys, and somehow find things to make life worth living. I don't complain, but usually have something good to say. I don't need you lording it over me that your life is worse than mine, and I really feel sorry for you -- but hearing your troubles does not help me. I also do not need you spoiling my optimism that life could actually turn for the better.

My friends and I have tried and are trying all sorts of things. One just lost his job that he thought would see him through retirement (damn economy). He is not whining, but speaking of what he is attempting next. I am not whining, but speaking of what I am now doing and how I hope it plays out to better things. Others in our group have their own turmoils. Such is life, and while we speak as friends we do not attempt to drag each other down.

End result, a sob story will get you a free beer, but little else. If the only reason you have for me to buy your product is that you have this sob story, the product really is not worth buying. You need a better job (or product).
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2009, 10:25 pm

Yah.. I just love sob stories from moochers...

got a couple of in-laws that are just knee deep in the stuff, and I need to hear their crap like I need a hole in the head.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2009, 10:42 pm

Yeah, that's the thing about it. I've not had the most difficult life, but I haven't had it easy either. Like you TerishD I figured out a long time ago the best way to get through things is to make the best of it anyway I can and surround myself with people who are more focused on what they want to do or what they plan to do and not what's gone wrong.

And I certainly agree that if a sob story is the best pitch that can be made the product must not be worth much.
Back to top Go down
Skwerly

Pet Peeves Scribbler-1
Skwerly

Male

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeSeptember 5th 2009, 6:09 pm

I have no problem with gays, either, and in fact I support their cause and believe they should be able to marry. Whole-heartedly, too. Things have changed in the last 2,000 years or so, and if we don’t recognize that, well...

Boy! You want to hear sob stories, move to Southern California! Everyone is ready and willing to tell you about their horrible life, and take a handout. Not everyone, of course, but you get the idea. I have heard just about every story even conceivable, from Yo, meeyaaaan, my whole family is in the car and we be stuck on da freeway. Fo’ only fi’ dollas I could get home safely to Los Angeles, to Hey, I’ll be honest here – I’m a drunk. I need a beer, you got any change, buddy?

The Los Angeles area is *NOT* where you want to be if you don’t like illegal aliens, crime, and sob stories, which is *exactly* why I’m getting the hell outta here. I’m heading to Oregon next year, and I’ll never look back. Smile
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2009, 11:53 pm

I have been meaning to head out to California, always wanted to go there and check the place out.

Might get a better chance with my next job.

Ok, now, back to pet peeves.

here is one that gets me as well. The second I mention I am trying to write something, (IE: I say something like "Writers Block sucks") the person I was talking to starts in on this long painful tale of the books they read, have read, or are trying to write.

I mean, sure, sometimes I like to hear a good review of a book (That is how I pick out most of the books I read) but, come on, I don't need to hear about every book, series, or what have you, that you have read, want to read, or are trying to write.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2009, 12:01 am

I want to clear that up a bit.

I like to hear peoples ideas, their stories and what have you. I enjoy it, really I do. But I want it to be on my terms.

Some days, I really want to get the fact that I have not written a single damn thing that does not sound like I ripped it off from someone else in about a year now and it irks me. So if I am willing (Stupid enough) to let that out in person, I am not really in the mood to talk about you at that moment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeves   Pet Peeves Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pet Peeves
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: General Discussions-
Jump to: