Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Empty33%Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Empty67%Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 EmptyPagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Voting_bar2Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 EmptyPagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Voting_bar2Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Swami

Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 ScribbleSuperr
Swami

Male
Number of posts : 147
Current Mood : Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Th_hap10
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication   Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2009, 6:56 pm

Urs wrote:
Swami wrote:
I think someone is grouchy cos Neverland is now closed for business...Very Happy

Since this nothing but insulting cometary, I can see now why you might entertain why religious debates are fun.

Also, what you have said about the pentagram is hyperbola based on unfounded modern day myths.

But I suppose if you wanted to post some sound viable links to support what you have said I might entertain reading them.

Taken from wiki page: The words pentacle and pentagram (a five-point unicursal star) are essentially synonymous, according to the Online Oxford English Dictionary (2007 revision), tracing the etymology through both French and Italian back to Latin, but notes that in Middle French the word "pentacle" was used to refer to any talisman. In an extended use, many magical authors treat them as distinct. In many tarot decks and in some forms of modern witchcraft, pentacles often prominently incorporate a pentagram in their design.

Nice bit of info here that explains the pentacle/pentagram for witches - pagans, and the inverted pentacle for Satanists:

http://members.shaw.ca/bbogdan/blog_images/wicca/pentacle.htm

I have researched it and have more info if you would like.
Back to top Go down
http://unsaneculture.forumotion.net
Swami

Swami

Male

PostSubject: Re: Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication   Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2009, 7:05 pm

TerishD wrote:
Swami wrote:
Hydra isn't a Pagan she's a Satanist, quite different from Paganism, and really not to be confused by one another. Pagans have the pentacle: the 5 pointed star. Satanist have a pentacle but its inverted so it points towards the earth, towards self empowerment away from the heavens and God.
Excuse me for not caring. Okay, just for my own education, I will care. A Pagan then believes (or focuses) upon an aspect of the higher presence, which they name and envision in a different manner than found in the Sistine Chapel. A non-Pagan non-Christian (call them what you will) ignores the whole higher presence, and focuses on something more immediate (in various manners).

I went to Adams, Tennessee where the Bell Witch once hung out (and supposedly has not left). I would be of the same group as Hydra if I thus put my respect in Kate (the Bell's Witch). Would I be of the same group if I instead focused upon Mother Earth? Would I be of the same group if I worshipped my ancestors? How about my Mother Turtle (or the wise spirit that rests within my mother turtle?)?

Now, what if I were a worshipper of Crom? I know that Howard made him up for Conan, but what if that was the type of god (little 'g') or spirit that I wanted to put my faith upon? What if I felt empowered by some other spirit that somehow contacted me as I sat in the back yard dreaming of alternate worlds?

How many types of categories are there? I see: Christian, Jew, Islam, Hindu, Buddhist, Nature (native American and Wiccan), Ancestor (native American and Shinto), and Pagan (not of the above). I guess that you are saying that Pagan is an exotic version of one of the above, so what is Hydra? Heathen? Oh, ignore Agnostic. If they aren't bothering to consider such a topic, we can leave them out of the discussion.

Paganism is an umbrella term that covers all beliefs and cultures pre-christianity. Heathens are norse/scandinavian paganisms.

Hydra will use black magic, which includes hexes and curses, and whatnot, where pagans will use white magic and abide by the rule: if it harms none, do as you will.

Aside from norse gods, which are basically worshipped as people, most, if not all, other pantheons are worshipped as elements and spirits.

Worshipping nature is the way people lived before civilisation first as hunters, where they worshipped the horned gods, and then as agrarian, where they worshipped the green man. Satanism came long after this, and its not nature they revere, its living life the way they please, indulging in pleasures seen as sinful to monotheistic religions. they don't really believe in Satan, they just see what he represents, and that's living life in accordance to your own whims and pleasure.

I feel I should apologise for my post about mean Christians. It was intended as light hearted humour.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication   Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2009, 7:50 pm

Wow, I don't think I've seen so much misinformation posted in one place since I last received a "truth about 9/11" email. I'm not even going to try and help you guys sort it all out, because frankly I don't care either, but no I'm not a Pagan.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Reply   Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2009, 11:58 pm

Well, Hydra and Swami, according to the dictionary (WorldBook Bicentennial 1976 Non-abridged) if you are not Christian, Jew, or Moslem, you are Pagan. Heathen basically means the same, although its definition goes to state that it is usually applied to primitive societies (while pagans are enlightened). You might have little cute distinctions between yourselves, but most will consider you in the save vein as Jehovah Witnesses are different than Catholics (with each detesting the other).

I could mention the Heaven/Hell angle, but I don't believe this conversation should go there. There really is no evidence. Considering that Jesus lived in a society controlled by Romans, I often wonder why he did not mention the distinctions. He is quick to condemn fellow Jews (you know, those nasty, vile, priests), but really treated the Romans with a bit of respect. If the conversation continues, let us just stay focused upon tangibles (as slippery as they might be to nail down).
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
HYdraMStar

Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication   Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2009, 1:42 am

You do of course realize you're quoting a book that's over thirty years old and was published during a time when the popular press and media paid very little respect to ANY religion other then the main three and basically you are arguing that Buddhists and Hindus are Pagan as well? Is that your position that Satanists and Buddhists are the same? That there is only "cute" differences between Hindus and Wiccans? Because that sounds like what you are trying to argue. And what about Atheists? They aren't Christian, Muslim, or Jewish. So, they must be Pagan as well.

Edit: I also can't help but to feel that you are approaching the subject with a very "us and them" mindset. In other words, "if they ain't worshiping my god then they're some sort of worshiper of the devil and that makes them all the same." Is this your stance? I know it's a popular one among many Christians here in the South, who I have heard much the same argument out of that I've seen from you here.

Last edited by HYdraMStar on June 27th 2009, 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Swami

Swami

Male

PostSubject: Re: Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication   Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2009, 4:02 am

TerishD wrote:
Well, Hydra and Swami, according to the dictionary (WorldBook Bicentennial 1976 Non-abridged) if you are not Christian, Jew, or Moslem, you are Pagan. Heathen basically means the same, although its definition goes to state that it is usually applied to primitive societies (while pagans are enlightened).
Oh brother. I am starting to see Urs point, you really can't argue religion with people.

I am sorry I started this.

And fyi, heathen means: those of the heath who worship the gods of the land. Paganism is polytheistic, so no, it's not used to describe monotheistic religions.
Back to top Go down
TerishD

Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication   Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2009, 8:39 am

Swami wrote:
Oh brother. I am starting to see Urs point, you really can't argue religion with people.

I am sorry I started this.

And fyi, heathen means: those of the heath who worship the gods of the land. Paganism is polytheistic, so no, it's not used to describe monotheistic religions.
Ah, but I am not arguing religion. I am clarifying the use of words. We can debate just how much clothing is actually worn while dancing around the glade and what it is that you dance around later (I know, you don't do this, but it is a wonderful scene to describe).

Note that I accept your definition of heathen. The word is from old English and is taken from heath (according to my dictionary). Note that pagan is from Latin and means rustic, because the non-believers (those that did not believe in the Roman gods) were from the lower social classes. Strangely, even those it was the Romans originally calling the Christians pagans, pagan has come to be associated with polytheism.

Just for your own edification, I and those I associate with tend to use the word pagan for those in non-Christian religions who are reasonable people. Heathen are those that are non-Christian and practice non-lawful (and often destructive) practices as part of their 'religion.' It is like the difference between insane and eccentric. An eccentric is somebody weird that can still be a part of society. When somebody weird cannot handle or be a part of society, then they become insane.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication   Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pagan Imagination: Latest Poetry Publication
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Scribe (The Latest News Forum) :: Scribbles Newsflash-
Jump to: