Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Empty33%“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Empty67%“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Empty“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Voting_bar2“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Empty 
TerishD (1441)
“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Empty“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Voting_bar2“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HYdraMStar

“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : “Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Empty
PostSubject: “Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker   “Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2009, 5:47 pm

I’ll open this review with a confession. I am a Clive Barker fanatic. I’ve at this point read nearly all his published works and by and large have loved them all. Even his movies, often adaptations of his written work, are favorites of mine. I’ve seen “Candyman” and read “Imajica” so many times over I feel confident that I could, if compelled for some reason to do so, act out scenes from either word for word. His stories aren’t for me mere sources of entertainment they are a treasured part of my life.

And then there is “Mister B. Gone”.

I can sum up my feelings about this book, which was hailed by some as Barker’s return to his horror roots, with one word; disappointment. This book has no depth or spirit, which is quite the shortcoming in a book that is suppose to be demon possessed.

This storyline, if you want to call it that, follows the Earthly life of a demon named Jakabok Botch but who prefers to be called Mr. B.. Jakabok is both the narrator and prisoner of the book and fancies himself quite the writer. He couldn’t be further off base. Written with out chapters the book reads like the journal of an individual only casually interested in documenting their life and with only a vague memory of important events.

Nearly every other page or “entry” ends with Jakabok speaking directly to the reader, pleading with them to burn the book and end his imprisonment and presumably his life. This was kooky and fun at first, but quickly became annoying, repetitive, and in this reader’s opinion a very cheap way to fill up pages and stretch out the book’s length. By the time the pleas became threats and was clearly meant to carry a creep out factor the whole affair was just boring. The only readers I could see this tactic even remotely working on are the highly religious and/or superstitious, because simply no one else is going to be frightened by a paper demon saying he’s standing behind them with a knife posed to torture and kill them.

There are a handful of scenes throughout the book that are gruesome and violent enough to remind the reader they are reading a Clive Barker story. I also appreciate the fact that Mr. Barker saw fit to address the popular misconception that the Bible was the first book to be published via the printing press, it was in fact a grammar text book that was first reproduced in this manner, but these scenes far from redeem this particular book and as much as it pains me to say it the only thing in my opinion that would redeem it would be to follow the wishes of its main character and burn it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
fleamailman

“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Topscribbler-1
fleamailman

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: “Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker   “Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2009, 9:24 am

"...so the actual book was as bad as this review was good...", remarked the goblin, who always preferred someones live writing on the Internet it seemed, adding "...bravo HYdraMStar, I will read anything you write now...", which was true he knew
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : “Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: “Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker   “Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2009, 4:58 pm

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: “Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker   “Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

“Mister B. Gone” by Clive Barker
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Reviews (Reader's Forum) :: Extolments & Criticisms-
Jump to: