Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Cheers Empty33%Cheers Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Cheers Empty67%Cheers Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Cheers Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Cheers Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Cheers Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Cheers Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Cheers Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Cheers EmptyCheers Voting_bar2Cheers Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Cheers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tonari

Cheers NewScribbler-1

Female
Number of posts : 4
Current Mood : Cheers Workin10
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Cheers Empty
PostSubject: Cheers   Cheers Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2009, 1:02 am

Hello everyone,
I received a friendly email invite to check out this forum, so here I am! So, a little about me. I read everything--sci-fi, thriller, literary, how-to, journalistic NF and anything else that that jumps off the back cover at me. I have to say, though, that I almost never end up with a romance novel or realistic drama in my hands. There's enough drama in real life. I like to suspend my belief as much as possible!! My day (and night job) is to raise a moral, socially adept, educated and happy young man and a strong, driven, loving, and empathetic young woman. (I have a son and daughter and I'm a stay-at-home mom Smile And, over the last three years I have been self-teaching myself how to write a book. I've read a gazillion, phenomenal how-to-write books and am now on the fifth rewrite of my manuscript. Seems every time I learn something new, it warrants another rewrite. I don't know if I'll EVER be finished with my book, which, by the way, is a memoir of a pivotal (and interesting) event in my family's life. I look forward to posting (and reading) excerpts and learning from all of you here.
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Cheers ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : Cheers Caring10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Cheers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheers   Cheers Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2009, 1:15 am

Hi Tonari

It's nice to meet you and welcome aboard.

It seems that there are quite some things going on in your life. I'm still glad you found your way to us (or rather say - followed the invite) wink

We do have a lot of great writers on the board, whether it's in poetry or the story section. If you should have a thing for art or even music, there is a place for you as well.

I'm pretty sure that you'll be finishing your book. Just keep on writing and working on it! I know it's sometimes easier said than done, but you can do it.

Have fun on the board!
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

Cheers Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Cheers Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Cheers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheers   Cheers Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2009, 1:19 am

Hello and welcome.

I'm kind of like you when it comes to my reading taste. I don't much go for realistic fiction.

I also like the fact that you are teaching yourself to write. I personally feel there is no better way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

Cheers ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Cheers Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Cheers Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Cheers Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2009, 8:03 am

Gee, it seems that we have a lot in common. I hope that you enjoy it here as much as I do.

Yes, I will critique, but I am only relaying what I have heard others say to me. I really am a nice person, just one who has been fighting the publishing industry for years.

Oh, I caught something in your post. Let me see, you say, "I almost never end up with a romance novel or realistic drama in my hands," then you say that you are writing a "memoir of a pivotal (and interesting) event in my family's life." There is your problem, you are writing about something you don't really enjoy reading. It is family history to you, so has some sentimental attachment, but - honestly - is not what you would choose to spend time with. I would thus suggest that you find those stories that you would want to read, or alter your story into a different genre.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Tonari

Cheers NewScribbler-1

Female

Cheers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheers   Cheers Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2009, 11:39 am

Good catch Terish! I was aware of the incongruence when I wrote my post - about not liking realistic fiction but writing something similar myself. I feel very compelled to write my story but I am working hard to keep it from being a run-of-the-mill memoir. It's thriller-like event so I'm using techinques from that genre as I tell this true tale.
Back to top Go down
TerishD

Cheers ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : Cheers Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Cheers Empty
PostSubject: Reply   Cheers Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2009, 12:08 pm

Tonari wrote:
Good catch Terish! I was aware of the incongruence when I wrote my post - about not liking realistic fiction but writing something similar myself. I feel very compelled to write my story but I am working hard to keep it from being a run-of-the-mill memoir. It's thriller-like event so I'm using techinques from that genre as I tell this true tale.
Cool. Passed the first test - you can tolerate someone getting nit-picky about what you post. Again, welcome to the site.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
Tonari

Cheers NewScribbler-1

Female

Cheers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheers   Cheers Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2009, 12:57 pm

cheers Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Cheers ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Cheers Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Cheers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheers   Cheers Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2009, 5:18 pm

I want to extend my welcome to you as well, glad to have you here. Hope you enjoy the Scribbles family, and we definitely look forward to your work!
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Cheers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheers   Cheers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Scribe (The Latest News Forum) :: Scribbles Appendages-
Jump to: