Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
New Editor Thread Empty33%New Editor Thread Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
New Editor Thread Empty67%New Editor Thread Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
New Editor Thread Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
New Editor Thread Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
New Editor Thread Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
New Editor Thread Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
New Editor Thread Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
New Editor Thread EmptyNew Editor Thread Voting_bar2New Editor Thread Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

New Editor Thread

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
deathbypen

New Editor Thread Scribbler-1
deathbypen

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-11

New Editor Thread Empty
PostSubject: New Editor Thread   New Editor Thread Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2008, 3:42 pm

Wow, with all these proofreaders and editors, maybe we should consider an editor section. We all know that one of the most important aspects of writing is revising. It looks like we have a few experienced and aspiring editors and proofreaders, so why not create an editing workshop?

I can definitely see a grammar section with grammar tips/questions, grammar exercises, and fine-toothed comb editing (this would be for later drafts to be polished and not just an overall critique).

It wouldn't be bad to have a go-to person for grammar questions.

Elections anyone? :P

~New York Bum
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

New Editor Thread Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : New Editor Thread Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

New Editor Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Editor Thread   New Editor Thread Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2008, 3:58 pm

There is already a grammar sub-forum under The Scrawler's Workplace forum, but I don't think this is a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
TerishD

New Editor Thread ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : New Editor Thread Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

New Editor Thread Empty
PostSubject: Reply   New Editor Thread Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2008, 5:18 pm

I agree with Hydra about using the grammar sub-forum. It is not being used, and editing usually involves writing rules (a broad interpretation of grammar).

Still, what topic(s) do you believe need discussing? Get the thread going somewhere, and let us see what develops.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
deathbypen

deathbypen

New Editor Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Editor Thread   New Editor Thread Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2008, 5:29 pm

I was thinking that once an individual's work graduated from the Scrawlers Workplace, it could move into the grammar forum. This is when it's really polished. The editors would have a chance to run through it, and then so would the site. If the editors miss anything, they would learn from the site, and the site would learn from the editors improvements. Of course, the writer would win over all because their final piece should be pretty close to perfect.

Now, as for a grammar exercise I was thinking of simply correcting a paragraph with mistakes. It would be good practice for writers. I've learned that by recognizing other people's mistakes, I catch mine more often. I mean, it could be even be a paragraph taken from one of the posted stories.

I know there is a sub-forum but currently it reminds me too much of a grammar book. You know "here are the rules, learn them." I'd like to see them set in motion, especially by those who are strong in that particular area.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

New Editor Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Editor Thread   New Editor Thread Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2008, 5:47 pm

Hmmm, I see your point, but I don't know anyone here who could/would take on these sorts of editing jobs for free/fun. I'm by no means a master editor, but even I wouldn't. Editing, really good editing, is a very time consuming thing, which is why they get paid so well. Honestly, I think the help being received currently in The Scrawler's Workplace is the best anyone can expect for nothing.

I do though wish to see the grammar forum put to more/different use. Even if it is just as a sort of "grammar/rule book".
Back to top Go down
TerishD

New Editor Thread ScribblesModerator-1
TerishD

Male
Number of posts : 1441
Current Mood : New Editor Thread Thinki10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

New Editor Thread Empty
PostSubject: Reply   New Editor Thread Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2008, 12:02 am

I also do not see any of us as making the claim that we are wonderful writers. I know from experience that the manuscript I read a hundred times - STILL HAS ERRORS. I don't tell people that my books are error free, I simply tell them that I am willing to set it beside ANY book in the bookstore (oh, yes, those professionally edited books are often breaking many rules).

Editing is a slow dedicated project. Most editors cheat by focusing on a limited number of pet peeves, while allowing a number of other problems to pass. You will thus find one professional editor warning you about certain things, while another editor warning you about others (and letting the problems from the other guy pass). Both editors usually (from my experience) want you to satisfy their pet peeves whether it fits your story or not.

The writer is definitely the best editor. He knows what he was trying to say. The problem is that most writers, especially beginners, are poor at grammar rules. They have the idea that writing is easy, or that some editor will do the work for them. I often feel that I am not providing advice, just telling the person what they need to hear - even if they don't want to hear it.

Anyway, start some editor threads and let us see how they work. If they prove to be interesting, good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.terishd.com
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

New Editor Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Editor Thread   New Editor Thread Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2008, 1:01 am

That's all true enough and NOTHING written or published is every prefect, but I think anyone looking to self-publish is foolish to not run their book by at least one professional freelance editor. In fact, whenever I've had a self-published author tell me they DID NOT use an editor I've passed on buying their work. As the writer we are way too close to our work to be truly objective about what parts of it don't work and an extra set of SEASONED eyes can be a big help.
Back to top Go down
deathbypen

deathbypen

New Editor Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Editor Thread   New Editor Thread Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2008, 1:42 am

Taking suggestions from both of you, I think I found a good middle ground. Editing is a long process yet it is essential to have an objective viewpoint.

I made a thread to explain the exercise, and even posted something to be critiqued.

Although it won't turn anyone into an editor, or someone's story into a masterpiece, I think it will help the writing and editing process as a whole.

Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Editor Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Editor Thread   New Editor Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Editor Thread
Page 1 of 1