Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Empty33%Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Empty67%Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Four Plays by Bernard Shaw EmptyFour Plays by Bernard Shaw Voting_bar2Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Empty 
TerishD (1441)
Four Plays by Bernard Shaw EmptyFour Plays by Bernard Shaw Voting_bar2Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Four Plays by Bernard Shaw

Go down 
AuthorMessage
HYdraMStar

Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Empty
PostSubject: Four Plays by Bernard Shaw   Four Plays by Bernard Shaw Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2008, 6:12 am

The editor of this particular volume, Paul Kozelka, made a point of calling the author Bernard Shaw instead of George Bernard Shaw, as most people would know him. The reason, and it seems like a good enough one, being that Mr. Shaw did not himself care for his first name and preferred to go only by his middle and last name. Besides that little tidbit of information I found the forward and editor’s notes to be on the same level as most forwards and editor’s notes on great works of literature; useless.

The four plays contained in this volume are as follows: The Devil’s Disciple, Candida, Caesar and Cleopatra, and Man and Superman.

The Devil’s Disciple was entertaining enough and the editor was wise to put it at the start of the book. A lot could be said about the unSatanic nature of the play’s main Satanic character. I mean what sort of Satanist, real or pretend, would let themselves be killed in order to save the local minister, a man they have no particular affections for. But the plot and storyline are amusing in part because they are illogical. So, in the end it was enjoyable.

Candida too was enjoyable. Again a minister was one of the main characters and Candida, herself, was the minister’s wife. This one got in spots a little too sweet and sentimental for my taste. It also too did not quite have a ring of truth about it. There were some honest and human moments to it, such as the ending, and the characters were interesting and so it was slightly above readable.

Caesar and Cleopatra was as the title suggest a play about Caesar and Cleopatra with a slightly humorous twist. Honestly, this play may have been fresh and interesting during its time, but I found it dull and only mildly amusing.

Man and Superman is the reason I purchased and read the collection. I’d heard for some many years how great of a work this play was, but had never before read it. I can’t say I was overly impressed. Certainly it had it’s charm. Of all the four, it was the funniest. It was also the one with the deepest level of character development. Some of the speeches by some of the character go on a little too long, but they were thought provoking and so bearable. The ‘dream’ portion, with the Devil and Don Juan, was a view and way of approaching the subject of Hell I’d favor had it added anything significant to the real life storyline. Rather it was a bit like a play within a play and a long one at that. The purpose of having it could have easily been served within a page or two rather then going on and on and on the way that it actually did. Near to the end of it I was flipping ahead to see when it would be ending and the business with Jack and Ana and the others would start up again. They were the much more interesting of the characters.

In closing I’d suggest only those who are lovers of plays or have, such as I do, a very dry wit and sense of humor to give this volume or any other which contains these plays a read. I think all other sorts of persons would find them boring and pointless.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 1