Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Empty33%“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Empty67%“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Empty“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Voting_bar2“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Empty 
TerishD (1441)
“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Empty“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Voting_bar2“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
HYdraMStar

“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : “The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

“The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Empty
PostSubject: “The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers   “The Anubis Gates” by Tim Powers Icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2008, 3:36 pm

Without a doubt one of the oddest books I’ve ever read, “The Anubis Gates” is a supposed science-fiction tale about a middle aged biography writer who gets caught up in a time travel scheme and finds himself stranded in England in 1810. But it’s so much more then that, because even though the modern day end of the story seems to be fairly start forward realistic fiction the historical end is filled with magic, soul migration, and a ‘werewolf’.

Normally I’d love a story with so much going on, but in this cases it was too much. There wasn’t nearly enough time spent developing these sub-plots, which left the whole thing feeling like bits or outlines of different stories strung together. To make matters worse a lot of the characters’ motivations were unclear and/or shifted greatly without much in the way of an explanation. A good chunk of the plot was predictable and what surprises there were made little to no sense.

The redeemable quality of the novel are small, but important. It’s a fast passed action packed read. You aren’t bogged down with a lot of chatter that goes nowhere or long history lessons about the culture and politics of 1810. You either know who Lord Byron and the other famous writers and historical figures mention are, or you don’t. That could be annoying to a less knowledgeable reader, but I like not being talked down to by my fiction. The culture and attitudes of the 1810 characters aren’t modernized, as you see in a lot of historical fiction. They are, many of them, by today’s standards racist, sexist, elitist, and xenophobic. Just the way the average person in 1810 would’ve been. But at the same time it’s not taken to the extreme. I never once got the impression that the author was trying to make some sort of politically correct point about how far we’ve come as a society with all of it. He was merely telling it like it was and letting the chips fall where they may. I give him big kudos for that much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Reviews (Reader's Forum) :: Extolments & Criticisms-
Jump to: