Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
Weight-Loss Tips Empty33%Weight-Loss Tips Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
Weight-Loss Tips Empty67%Weight-Loss Tips Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
Weight-Loss Tips EmptyWeight-Loss Tips Voting_bar2Weight-Loss Tips Empty 
TerishD (1441)
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

Weight-Loss Tips

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

Weight-Loss Tips ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Weight-Loss Tips Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Weight-Loss Tips Empty
PostSubject: Weight-Loss Tips   Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2008, 8:58 pm

What are some the things you've done to control your weight?

Do you have any tips to offer others who would like to lose a few pounds?

Share your tips with us! Weight-Loss Tips Sport-smiley-5523
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

Weight-Loss Tips Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : Weight-Loss Tips Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Weight-Loss Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight-Loss Tips   Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2008, 9:22 pm

Well, I lost fifteen pounds this past year. My goal was forty pounds. So, I'm far from an expert or a story of overnight success, but here is what I did/don't do.

I take walks every day; rather it rains or shines, rather it is cold or hot; usually just a couple of times around the block but sometimes to the library four/five blocks down the street.

I converted my computer desk from a sitting desk to a standing desk. You burn more calories standing then sitting and since a big part of my lifestyle is writing, blogging, and reading/researching things online this literally got me off my ass.

I only buy sweets in a single serving amount and only when I plan to eat them. Not having it in the house keeps me from eating it out of habit. If I have a craving I don't deny it, I go to the corner store and get my single serving amount.

For me a vegetarian diet heavy in protein and light in carbohydrates works best for my tastes and my other health/family history issues. That might not work for everyone, nothing does, but you really have to pay attention to serving size and calories. Burning more calories then you consume is the only way to lose fat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Teele

Weight-Loss Tips Scribbler-1
Teele

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Weight-Loss Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight-Loss Tips   Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2008, 4:22 pm

Well, I'm no expert on what's technically supposed to be good weight-loss technique. All I know is that I've lost 40 pounds since November of last year, and here's how I did it:

There's two aspects to any weight-loss program: diet and exercise. In the diet department, I cut waaaay back (cause I had a really big appetite) and ate meal replacements twice a day, instead of full meals.

In the exercise department, I starting doing Billy Blanks' Tae Bo, which I recommend to EVERYONE who can do it. It consists of martial arts movements done in repetitions to music. The average workout is 30-50 minutes (with longer ones available) and they are usually fairly high-intensity aerobics. It boosts your metabolism while giving you flexibility and control over your body. Plus, its tons of fun!

But yeah, having lost the weight really made me see that, with anything in life, if you want something and you're willing to put forth the attitude, effort, and hard work to get it, it'll show up one day!
Back to top Go down
http://www.theclaybox.ca
Leaka

Weight-Loss Tips Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : Weight-Loss Tips Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Weight-Loss Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight-Loss Tips   Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitimeSeptember 28th 2008, 9:36 pm

My grandmother who wanted to lose weight started measuring out her food.
Measuring your food might help and she said keeping a journal of what you ate that day and planning it all out.
Like she could have on starch a day, but substitute a vegetable for a starch. Those kinda things.
That mad no sense.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

Weight-Loss Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight-Loss Tips   Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 7:33 pm

I forgot to add this one before, maybe because it's more of a mental thing then an actual way to lose weight, but I only weigh myself once a month. On the 9th to be exact.

The reason is two fold. Weighing yourself often, every day, can make you feel like you aren't making any progress because your weight won't change much from day to day. Weighing yourself and discovering that you have indeed lost some pounds tends to make a person feel like they deserve a reward. If that 'reward' comes in the form of food this throws you off your diet and might make your next weigh in less then successful.
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Leaka

Male

Weight-Loss Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight-Loss Tips   Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 9:00 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
I forgot to add this one before, maybe because it's more of a mental thing then an actual way to lose weight, but I only weigh myself once a month. On the 9th to be exact.

The reason is two fold. Weighing yourself often, every day, can make you feel like you aren't making any progress because your weight won't change much from day to day. Weighing yourself and discovering that you have indeed lost some pounds tends to make a person feel like they deserve a reward. If that 'reward' comes in the form of food this throws you off your diet and might make your next weigh in less then successful.

You know, what I have found weird about weighing.
How do you get an exact reading?

Because if you weigh yourself in the morning because you have had nothing to eat before then you are going to way less and if you weigh yourself in the evening (I read this in a science article) you tend to weigh more.(can't remember the exact reason why)
The same problem lies with the afternoon as well.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

Weight-Loss Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight-Loss Tips   Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 9:16 pm

I've always been told to weight yourself first thing in the morning. And if your a woman at the same point in your cycle every month, because that too can effect the number.

Honestly, none of it is going to make much more then a pound or two difference either way.
Back to top Go down
Leaka

Leaka

Male

Weight-Loss Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight-Loss Tips   Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 10:47 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:
I've always been told to weight yourself first thing in the morning. And if your a woman at the same point in your cycle every month, because that too can effect the number.

Honestly, none of it is going to make much more then a pound or two difference either way.

Oh, okay cool.
Thanks for answering my question.
I know a pound or two wouldn't make much difference, but I did want to know.
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Weight-Loss Tips ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : Weight-Loss Tips Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Weight-Loss Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight-Loss Tips   Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2012, 8:46 pm

Recently I got back into Yoga. When I was smaller and younger I could fold and twist and flip, now well... I can barely touch my toes. (I'm kidding) Yoga is like light exercise and meditation to me. I love it!
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Weight-Loss Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight-Loss Tips   Weight-Loss Tips Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weight-Loss Tips
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Lounge (Chit-Chat Forum) :: Wellness Matters-
Jump to: