Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
What's that you're reading? Empty33%What's that you're reading? Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
What's that you're reading? Empty67%What's that you're reading? Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
What's that you're reading? EmptyWhat's that you're reading? Voting_bar2What's that you're reading? Empty 
TerishD (1441)
What's that you're reading? EmptyWhat's that you're reading? Voting_bar2What's that you're reading? Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

What's that you're reading?

Go down 
+5
Urs
Bick
Sketch
Chrome
HYdraMStar
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HYdraMStar

What's that you're reading? Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : What's that you're reading? Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

What's that you're reading? Empty
PostSubject: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2008, 2:35 am

It never fails, you've just settled in to your favorite booth at your favorite coffee house with your favorite hot drink and have dove fully into whatever volume you're currently working your way through and long comes some slack-jawed yokel type to ask you, "What's that you're reading?"

Well, this here is the slightly less intrusive Scribbles version of that scenario.

What are you reading Scribblers? What's the title of that book you're currently working your way through?

Oh, and do tell us a bit about it. How you like it so far? What made you want to read it? Etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Chrome

What's that you're reading? Scribbler-1
Chrome

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2008, 5:04 am

Quote :
What are you reading Scribbles?
Scribblers, I suppose?
Well, I am kind of reading a novel...

Quote :
What's the title of that book you're currently working your way through?
...'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini.

Quote :
How you like it so far?
Depressing.
Depressing.
Compelling.

Quote :
What made you want to read it?
The same author wrote an awesome book whose story was made into a movie which I watched. So when I saw this, I decided to give it a go.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2008, 7:05 am

I'm re-reading Imajica by Clive Barker. It's one of my all time favorite books and would suggest it to anyone with a taste for fantasy or horror.

Imajica is somewhat of a departure from Barker's early splatterpunk days, but is still quite bloody. Like mostly everything else this book has its flaws, but there are so many layers to the story most readers will soon forget them and dive right into the strange landscape of the Imajica.

I've also just started on The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. Basically it's about magic, time travel, and werewolves. It opens in 1600s England with and ban of gypsies trying to open up the gates between our world and the Egyptian land of the dead so that the gods may once more rule the earth, but then flips to present day and a ban of scientist attempting to travel back in time to the 1600s. It was suggest to me, some time ago, by a friend who knew I had an interest in stories about werewolves. I'm not far enough into to have or give any real impression of it yet.
Back to top Go down
Sketch

What's that you're reading? NewScribbler-1
Sketch

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-08-18

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 5:15 pm

I don't I've ever read a book about werewolves, thats really cool. I'm currently reading the latest installment of the Harry Potter series. Mainly because of the movie being put on hold, I needed a fix. As an adult I really enjoyed the Harry Potter story and thing Rowling did a wonderful job in helping the world's children to read more.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2008, 7:28 pm

Hey, you don't have to explain yourself to me. I'm a big fan of the Harry Potter series.

Have you by chance read any of Philip Pullman's work? The Dark Material series is really good and if you like Harry Potter you might enjoy it as well.
Back to top Go down
Bick

What's that you're reading? ScribbleSuperr
Bick

Female
Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 12:40 am

Quote :
I don't I've ever read a book about werewolves,
thats really cool. I'm currently reading the latest installment of the
Harry Potter series. Mainly because of the movie being put on hold, I
needed a fix. As an adult I really enjoyed the Harry Potter story and
thing Rowling did a wonderful job in helping the world's children to
read more.

I was a HUGE fan of the Potter series a little after the 4th book came out. I think she had a wonderful idea going. She probably did help me get my reading more intense, I probably owe her that.

I ended up making it to the College Library for the first time since I've been going to get some leisure reading, and after much pushing from my friends, I got a Terry Pratchett book. I've got Thud! And Making Money.

Have any of you read anything by Terry? Or those books for that matter? I've had time to look them over, but not much more. They look like they'll be humorous nonetheless, pretty excited. It's been a while since I've read something out of Stephen King and Walter Moers.
Back to top Go down
Urs

What's that you're reading? ScribblesModerator-1
Urs

Number of posts : 569
Location : Corner of Insane Ave & Stupid St. in the State of Denial
Current Mood : What's that you're reading? Th_cil10
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2008, 9:07 pm

I just started Orcs,

Ummm... Right now I am still at the "Kill the soft pink skins" during a rather large castle raid.
Back to top Go down
http://protagonist2antagonist.wordpress.com/
Leaka

What's that you're reading? Topscribbler-1
Leaka

Male
Number of posts : 334
Current Mood : What's that you're reading? Evil10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2008, 2:58 pm

HYdraMStar wrote:

What are you reading Scribbles?
A collection of short stories in this novel thing.
Quote :
What's the title of that book you're currently working your way through?
Author Joe Hill-20th Century Ghost
Quote :
How you like it so far? What made you want to read it?
Its kinda slow and boring, I'm waiting for it to be scary...Its no Edgar Allan Poe I'll tell you that. It had ghost in the title and I'm currently looking for some good horror books to help me, learn about ghost.
Back to top Go down
x_paramore

What's that you're reading? Scribbler-1
x_paramore

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2008, 3:08 pm

I am reading Brisingr- the third book in The Inheritance Cycle. I am loving it so far.

And I'm also reading Pride and Prejudice for the millionth time.
Just keeps getting better. :P
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 2:42 pm

I found a hardcover copy of Michael Crichton's "Next" at the grocery store of all places a few weeks back. I haven't read anything by Crichton in years, not since high school in fact, but when I saw it was only $7 I went a head and got it and just started reading it this past week. I'm only a couple of chapters into it, but it seems to be about illegal genetic research and talking monkeys. So, it has some interesting possibilities.
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

What's that you're reading? ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : What's that you're reading? Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 3:46 pm

Talking monkey? Interesting? You always surprise me Hydra! (In a good way)

I'm currently reading Nicholas Sparks - Lucky One, just came out on the 26th of September, I'm a big Nick Sparks fan. The latest is about a war hero who returns from his third tour of duty with a picture he found on the battle ground. When no one claims the photo at the base he embarks on a cross country road trip to find the mysteriously beautiful woman. Once he does, they begin dating and eventually fall in love when she finds out that he search her out it could be the end of them, she feels he's lied to her but we'll see how it turns out. So far so good.

The second book I'm reading is called "Girls Poker Night". It is a very witty and humorous take on poker night. Ruby Capote is a writer for a Boston paper who is board with every aspect of her life, including her very dull boyfriend Dale. She then applies for a job for 'The New Yorker' when she doesn't hear back about her resume she then starts a sort of letter writing war with him, less then a year later she's hired and she begins working on a column about her girls poker night. Shes in love with her boss but she doesn't know it, shes in love with the cute neighbor boy and is excited about it, but like I said I'm in the middle of it. Its very cute and witty, she has a very dry sense of humor, and I'm actually enjoying it, although this particular book wouldn't be one that I would actually buy. It was given to me by my niece. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

The third book I'm reading is called 'Imagine' and is a collection of essays written by new age revolutionists who are at the peak of their career and spiritual platforms. Exciting stuff!
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2008, 4:13 pm

Kellycakes wrote:
Talking monkey? Interesting? You always surprise me Hydra! (In a good way)

Yeah, and for once I'm not quoting the Lucifer character from The Prophecy and talking about humanity. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2008, 8:54 pm

Ok, Now after two books kinda bombed on me, I am looking at The Lies of Lock LaMore.

Has Anyone here read this book and willing to give me a heads up or thumbs down on it?
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2008, 3:20 am

I'm about halfway through with a four play collect by Bernard Shaw; The Devil's Disciple, Candida, Caesar and Cleopatra, and Man and Superman.

I haven't found them thus far to be as enjoyable as I'd hoped. The humor is very dry, which is the way I like it, but I can't seem to really get into his characters. I still got two more in the collection to read, "Caesar and Cleopatra" and "Man and Superman", and I purchased the collection in order to read the second. So, I'm hopeful I'll ended up not feeling that I've completely wasted my time here.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2008, 7:40 pm

I finished up the Shaw collection last night and posted another thread "reviewing" them and I stared reading "Vehicle of Vengeance". It's the first book in the independently published Servant of Lust series. I'm only about halfway through the first chapter, but already it has some of the same problems that many self-published works do. It needed more editing and fleshing out then it got, but I'm hopeful that it's just a case of getting off to a rough start. Either way I'll likely finish it, because, well that's just the way I am. Once I start something it's rare that I'll not finish it, unless it is just completely unreadable. Plus, it's under 125 pages and the paragraphs are double spaced at that. So, it's not like I'll be devoting a great deal of my life to it.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2008, 2:35 am

I just finished up reading "Coriander" by Sara Banks (I'll post a summery/review in the next view days) and I've decided to veg out on some trash romance novels. A neighbor gave me a whole box of Harleguin paperbacks a few months ago and it's been awhile since I indulged in such. So, I think that's what I'm going to do and the one I'm reading right now "Love, Marriage and Other Calamities" by Debbi Rawlins isn't bad, as romance novels go.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2008, 1:09 pm

I just started the "Name of the Wind"

Lets see how this one plays out.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2008, 5:16 pm

I finished up the first romance novel prior to the start of the weekend and I've started with Anne Rampling (Anne Rice)'s Exit to Eden. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with Anne Rice's writing. Some of it, like The Witching Hour, I loved and other things, like Violin, I hated. But haven't read any good D&S/S&M erotica in awhile now and I picked up Exit to Eden years ago at a local used bookstore and have never gotten around to reading it. So, now is it's day. So far so good, but I'm only three chapters in.
Back to top Go down
Urs

Urs

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2008, 11:01 pm

I strongly suggest to anyone that likes Fantasy Fiction to pick up a copy of Name of the Wind. It is a good book, not amazing, not astounding, and the hype and praise on the cover can look like a set up of doom.

But it is a good book, easy to enjoy and paced in a nice way.

I would recommend this book to anyone that would enjoy this type of fiction.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2009, 5:40 am

I just got done with "Playing Devil's Advocate" by Andrea Dean van Scoyoc. I'll be posting up a full review soon. It was really violent and raw, just the way horror fiction should be.

Right now I'm reading "Kali: The Black Goddess of Dakshineswar" by Elizabeth U. Harding and re-reading "Galilee" by Clive Barker.

I have "Mister B. Gone" on order, but I'm craving and need some Barker right now. "Galilee" is one of his stranger books; not the splatterpunk sort of horror he's known for but more fantasy. It's dedicated to his long time lover, David Armstrong, and I've always had the impression that there is a lot of him in the title character. It's a good book. So, I know I'll enjoy re-reading it.

The book on Kali is just that a book about the goddess Kali, her worship, and the temple dedicated to Kali in Dakshineswar.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2009, 10:43 pm

After being disappointed by both "Mister B. Gone" and "Kali: The Black Goddess of Dakshineswar", the second of which I didn't even bother to finish, I decided to go again to the book shelf and pull off something I hadn't read in awhile but love, Douglas Adams' "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide Collection". This is of course the full collection of stories in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series. It's sci-fi with a humorous slant or maybe humor with a sci-fi slant depending on how you look at it. Either way it's just silly.

I also on a recent trip to the bookstore picked up a copy of "Wicked: the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maguire (not the author of the original Oz stories). I didn't quite know what to expect from this one and am not a fan of the Wizard of Oz movie or the book it was adapted from, but I figured what the Hell it was on sale and so far I'm very glad I did. Between the frank discussion of sex and the "f-bomb" being dropped here and there this is a much more adult story then the original, which was the Harry Potter/Twilight of its day, and maybe that's what I like about it. It's a look behind the candy coated happy version of Oz we're all use to.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2009, 6:34 pm

I finished up reading "Wicked" and posted a review of that.

Now, I'm reading "Sisters of the Night: The Angry Angel" by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. It's the story of Kelene an young girl gifted with visions of angels and who becomes one of the "weird sisters" from Bram Stoker's "Dracula". This is the visit vampire or Dracula related work I've read in awhile and so far it's great. It might crap out later, but so far there is none of the vampire guilt and attempts to not drink blood that so many of the modern vampire works have... I really hate that crap and it's what has kept me from reading the Twilight series.

I'm also reading a book of poetry, "Deteriorate" by Julie L. Thielen. It's fairly dark, but not all depressing like a lot of so called "dark poetry". It's also fully illustrated, which is rare these days, and I really dig that.
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2009, 10:54 am

the goblin had little time for books at this point, he was more into blogs and forums, which came in easy to follow segments, and had the author on tap too, "...I like your blog HYdraMStar, and if anyone could link me any other interesting blog, I'd be grateful..." mentioned the goblin, noting that the real problem with a good book was that once one had finished it, one was stuck "between books" again, something rather like being unemployed at the labor exchange, but blogs and forums were a different matter, there one could read and write at ones own pace

Last edited by fleamailman on April 14th 2009, 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2009, 6:47 pm

I'm glad you like my blog, mostly it's just poetry and random stuff. Maybe we need a thread for discussing blogs... though it could turn into nothing more then a place for people to dump a link to their own blog.

Personally, I read a few Myspace blogs. Mostly they are just life update from people you may or may not care about, but one of my favorites is my friend Lisa Kessler's blog. She post a new short story once a week and they are usually pretty good: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=37024910&blogId=481436029

Other then that I don't have any leads for you on good blogs.
Back to top Go down
fleamailman

fleamailman

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2009, 6:14 am

"...thanks for the link, I wouldn't mind if people dumped and linked to their own blog here on scribbles that is as it would save me having to go find them elsewhere, the question is simply reading it to see if it is ones thing or not..." mentioned the goblin who had many of the books he liked on raw word format thinking that, if the music world has a headache with mp3 copies, the writing world is going to have a bigger headache with word format copies then
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's that you're reading?   What's that you're reading? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's that you're reading?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next