Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Is the phrase "Once upon a time..."
Overused
We want your opinion! Empty33%We want your opinion! Empty
 33% [ 1 ]
Underused
We want your opinion! Empty67%We want your opinion! Empty
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Monthly Writing Prompt
For this month's writing prompt write a scene using the following sentence to start;

The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?

Writing Tip
Our monthly writing tips are written by our very own TerishD. You can read more in Terish's Blog located in "The Abstractions" area of the forum.

Look Back

When not able to write ahead, it helps to look back. In my case I had written a paragraph ahead of the story. What I needed to do was add a section of exposition (talking) presenting some facts. In going back, I realized that I could insert a section where a 'tour' of the surroundings could be done. This allowed for character interaction, story development, and other things that enabled me to present the facts in an entertaining manner.

One should not face a writer's block with the mentality of bursting through it. I have found in my own experience that a writer's block is usually due to my mind indicating that it has a problem in 'channeling' the story. One reason might be a re-imagining of certain story points. Another reason however is that there is a problem in where you are at in the story, so you need to look back and find out the problem with the 'journey' that prevents the tale from advancing.

Latest topics
» Abduction to Elfland: Part 4 (19)
We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeAugust 14th 2020, 6:22 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 3 (13-18)
We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2020, 6:41 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 2 (7-12)
We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2020, 6:30 am by TerishD

» Abduction to Elfland: Part 1 (1-6)
We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2020, 6:33 am by TerishD

» To Know Sweet and Sour - Part Seven (35 - Epi)
We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2020, 6:38 am by TerishD

Top posters
oskar (2320)
We want your opinion! EmptyWe want your opinion! Voting_bar2We want your opinion! Empty 
TerishD (1441)
We want your opinion! EmptyWe want your opinion! Voting_bar2We want your opinion! Empty 
HYdraMStar (1170)
Kellycakes (1136)
Snacker (818)
Urs (569)
fleamailman (400)
Leaka (334)
JuJu (287)
alexandra (198)

We want your opinion!

Go down 
+11
Thagryn-Sylrand
x_paramore
alexandra
whitehart
KingCobra00
RonPrice
DWSinTXS
Snacker
HYdraMStar
corra
Kellycakes
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What do you think of 'Scribbles'?
I like it
We want your opinion! Empty34%We want your opinion! Empty
 34% [ 10 ]
I love it
We want your opinion! Empty45%We want your opinion! Empty
 45% [ 13 ]
It's okay
We want your opinion! Empty17%We want your opinion! Empty
 17% [ 5 ]
It could be better
We want your opinion! Empty3%We want your opinion! Empty
 3% [ 1 ]
Give it up
We want your opinion! Empty0%We want your opinion! Empty
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 29

AuthorMessage
Kellycakes

We want your opinion! ScribblesQueen-1
Kellycakes

Female
Number of posts : 1136
Current Mood : We want your opinion! Th_wel10
Registration date : 2008-07-17

We want your opinion! Empty
PostSubject: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2008, 4:22 am

Tell us honestly what you think!
Back to top Go down
https://scribbles.forumotion.com
corra

We want your opinion! NewScribbler-1
corra

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2008, 5:01 am

I really like the chat box and what I have seen of the features so far. My only criticisms would be I've been on ten minutes and had to close two pop-ups, which will get old quick if that's customary, and the screen is black, which is a little hard on the eyes if I plan to be online long.

Other than that, it's been about ten minutes, but I'm impressed so far...

Smile
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

We want your opinion! Extrascribbler
HYdraMStar

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Current Mood : We want your opinion! Kitty10
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2008, 5:47 am

I held off on giving an opinion until I'd actually gone through some of the forums, but now that I have I'll give it to you straight.

I hate censorship. It's the death of art. I understand you don't want people 'flaming' or being abusive to other users. Or using four letter words for the pure shock value of them. I fully support your efforts in that, but I get the impression that if I have a story or poem which contains 'colorful' words or situations I wouldn't be welcomed to post it here.

Other then that I think you guys are getting off to wonderful start. I really hope more people find the site and it becomes a huge success and I can say I knew you when.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hydramstar.blogspot.com
Kellycakes

Kellycakes

Female

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2008, 1:26 pm

First of all, welcome to both of you. I'm so glad that you can join us.

Corra: About the pop ups, I personally don't receive any pop ups, if it does become a problem though please let me know because there shouldn't be any. The screen is black because a lot of writing forums don't take the time to develop a site. They just throw a few categories together in hopes their members will want to post. We wanted to be different and unique. As of now this is the only option but in the future as the site grows we will offer more templates for members to pick and choose on their own accord. I'm happy you like the site and hope you'll be a permanent fixture.

HydraMStar: Your screen-name makes me smile, its very unique! You are a treasure. You are very eccentric and passionate in your writing. Great! I have no word filters set, so if your work contains colorful words and you'd like to share them, by all means do so. I have no problem with language, in fact in most pieces the shock value determines whether or not the piece can survive the writing process. We as writers have to be willing to take chances and have a thick skin when being critiqued. So go right ahead and post! I hope the site takes off as well.

Much love to the both of you for taking the time to voice your opinions. It is greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Kellycakes

Female

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2008, 1:26 pm

If anyone is having any trouble with pop-ups while navigating through the site please let me know here.
Back to top Go down
corra

corra

Female

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2008, 4:25 pm

Quick question: How do I talk in the shout box? It keeps saying my password is invalid, but it isn't. Where's the little spot where i write a message?
Back to top Go down
Snacker

We want your opinion! ScribblesKing-3
Snacker

Male
Number of posts : 818
Current Mood : We want your opinion! Caring10

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2008, 4:47 pm

Hi corra and welcome to Scribbles.

To your question about the shout box. You see where you put in your name. Right next to it does it say message. The password option is only for the administrator, because we created it. So name and message is all you need.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scribbles.forumotion.com
corra

corra

Female

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2008, 4:51 pm

Oh, that fixed it. Thanks Snacker! LOL
Back to top Go down
Snacker

Snacker

Male

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2008, 4:58 pm

You're welcome corra. Any more questions? You know where to find us. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
corra

corra

Female

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2008, 5:59 pm

Okay, another question:

Is our work copyrighted when when we post it?
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Kellycakes

Female

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2008, 7:45 pm

Quote :
Is our work copyrighted when when we post it?

You retain all rights to your work. Are goal here is to just bring writers together for the purpose of the craft. We want creative people like ourselves to come together to share and get honest advice that will help each of us individually to improve in the field of writing.

What I have and suggest to everyone who decides to post anything here is to put a copyright or (c) in their signature. No one has the right to your work, only you. On the flip side if you use anyone's work with or without their permission we ask that you tell us the source.

We are bounded by copyright laws here, which means that if someone comes and sees that someone else has copied their work for the sole purpose of passing it off as their own then they, the original author has the right to sue. And they will sue not only the conspirator by the site which includes me, and my other two adminstrators, Snacker and Juju.
Back to top Go down
corra

corra

Female

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2008, 7:50 pm

Hm...

I prefer a full, legal copyright, without having to post my actual name on the Internet for the world to see. Thanks anyhow I love you
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Kellycakes

Female

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2008, 7:52 pm

You don't have to post your entire name. Maybe just the word (penname) would suffice. Its up to you.
Back to top Go down
corra

corra

Female

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2008, 7:57 pm

But it's not legal if it's a pen name. "Maybe" is too extensively uncertain for my taste, so I won't be posting anything until I know it is legally considered mine. But I appreciate the offer and will likely stay on to read other work and take part in discussion... Smile
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2008, 8:18 pm

I'm just going to step right in here, because I hear the copyright question a lot.

You don't have to post any symbol or warning or legal notice in order to protect your copyrights.

It's actually consider in bad form by most editors, agents, and publisher to do so when submitting or publicly posting your work. In fact, I've heard a few comment that they'll just outright reject anything that comes across their desk that has a copyright symbol already stamped on it.

The reason why is simply this, under US copyright law your work is legally yours and you hold all copyrights to it upon creation. As soon as pen goes to paper or finger to keys you own the copyright on whatever you create. Every seasoned member of the publishing industry knows this and going around posting symbols and warnings only makes you look you haven't done your homework into the ways of the industry. Not a quality most publishers are looking for in an author, unless of course they want to take advantage of you.

Bottom line, don't worry about it. You're covered and in the event you do find yourself in a court battle over a copyright having a computer file with a date stamp on it or a link to a blog or message board where YOU posted the work will help you a lot more then the letter c in a circle beside your name.
Back to top Go down
Kellycakes

Kellycakes

Female

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2008, 8:46 pm

Quote :
In copyright law, the right of anyone to use literature, music or other previously copyrighted materials after the copyright period has expired. Although the copyright laws have been changed several times, a rule of thumb would be that the last possible date for copyright protection would be 50 years after the death of the author. Thus, the works of William Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Jack London and other classic writers are in the public domain and may be published by anyone without payment of a royalty.

You never lose your rights, its yours, you wrote it you keep it at least until 50 years after your death.

Quote :
The exclusive right of the author or creator of a literary or artistic property (such as a book, movie or musical composition) to print, copy, sell, license, distribute, transform to another medium, translate, record or perform or otherwise use (or not use) and to give it to another by will. As soon as a work is created and is in a tangible form (such as writing or taping) the work automatically has federal copyright protection. On any distributed and/or published work a notice should be affixed stating the word copyright, copy or ©, with the name of the creator and the date of copyright (which is the year of first publication).

There is also another way to insure your copyright is in place but it requires a financial deposit with the federal government.

Quote :
Not subject to copyright are short phrases, titles, extemporaneous speeches or live unrecorded performances, common information, government publications, mere ideas, and seditious, obscene, libelous and fraudulent work. For any work created from 1978 to date, a copyright is good for the author's life, plus 50 years, with a few exceptions such as work "for hire" which is owned by the one commissioning the work for a period of 75 years from publication. After that it falls into the public domain.

As HydraMStar said, its nothing to worry about.

We can understand your concern in protection to your work, but I doubt that you'd ever have a problem, at least with your connection to these message boards.

I hope that you will join in.

The quotes above are from the website law.com under the copyright law.
Back to top Go down
DWSinTXS

DWSinTXS

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2008, 2:46 pm

I just joined. I like what I've seen so far!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/dwstxs
Kellycakes

Kellycakes

Female

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2008, 5:51 pm

Thank you for joining DWS! I'm glad you like what you see, hope to see something from you soon!
Back to top Go down
RonPrice

RonPrice

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Opinion of Your Internet Site "Scribbles"   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2008, 10:11 pm

I post at many poetry, prose and other internet sites and my opinion of this site is based on comparisons and contrasts with the dozens of other sites at which I post. Let me say that:

1. your site has a pleasing simplicity, clarity and absense of confusing visuals and extras that many sites include but, in the end, are not helpful--at least to people like me who need simplicity and clarity.
2. your site title is excellent and there is much in a title; and
3. you have set a solid foundation for your start and foundations are critical.-Ron Price, Tasmania
Back to top Go down
http://www.users.on.net/~ronprice/
Kellycakes

Kellycakes

Female

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2008, 10:35 am

Well thank you Mr. Price, I'm glad that you find the boards easy assessable, I hope we can keep it going.
Back to top Go down
HYdraMStar

HYdraMStar

Female

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2008, 2:20 am

An idea I'd like to toss out to you is, consider creating a self-promotion, accomplishment, and/or call for submissions forum.

From my experience with these sorts of boards once you reach a certain level of membership and people start to see you as place for free advertisement or recruitment the spam really starts rolling in. As it stands currently most of it will likely end up here in this forum or the general discussion area. Not a lot of fun for those of use looking for an interesting topic to chit chat about.
Back to top Go down
KingCobra00

Male
Registration date : 2008-08-27

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 3:32 am

I like it so far. The unique look and interesting name drew me in, and I'm sure I'll be posting some of my work soon.
Back to top Go down
whitehart

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-08-27

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 10:27 am

I like it so far...first of all, for a stupid reason...the font! I just think its a cool font to write in. the name drew me in, then I liked the whole display. Though am still figuring out whats what, I am totally enjoying myself here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.booksie.com/whitehart
alexandra

We want your opinion! ScribbleSuperr
alexandra

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2008, 1:25 pm

I’m with Hydra on the wording thing.

Most of my stuff is mild anyway but sometimes I do get carried away and things tend to get a bit too explicit and therefore offensive to some people. Another thing is that in some places, certain subjects are almost regarded as taboo. Perhaps having the option of warning people before they read might be a good idea, and then we can say: “I told you so!” if they found it offensive.

Censorship never did any good to anyone. Text is text, whether it is stories, poems or whatever; it can contain anything the writer likes and the writer can express it the way he/she feels it suits better. A different thing is when people start insulting each other, that’s totally different and if you ask me: it’s a total waste of time. If the only way to get across is by verbally hitting someone, then you might as well go and lock yourself in a jar full of jam.

I like this place by the way; sometimes I have difficulty in finding the challenge/games threads and it takes a bit of time to find them again. The font is nice but it’s confusing, I just cheat: if it’s long I copy in to word, enlarge the font and read. If it’s very long then I print or don’t read. I want to preserve my eyes so that I can see what I type.

I’ll shut up now.

Oh, and the copyright thing….

I like the little © I know my work is mine but I like the ©
Back to top Go down
http://alexandrariera.spaces.live.com/
Snacker

Snacker

Male

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2008, 4:40 pm

Alexandra we did open a single forum for all the challenges now, so you won't have any problems finding them again. Other than the 'Monthly Writing Prompt' ,which isn't a challenge but an exercise, everything is in the single forum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We want your opinion!   We want your opinion! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

We want your opinion!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next